"We had no problems, it was just all straightforward and the service was good."

Dawn, Home Insurance customer, January 2015

Check your policy



If you don’t know which policy you have you can call us on:

0345 603 8368

Additional info

You’ll find further information about your policy, such as what’s covered, additional cover, useful phone numbers and answers to frequently asked questions, here:

Make a Car Insurance claim

Your guide to making a car insurance claim

What to do if you have an accident?

  • Don't leave the accident scene.
  • Call the emergency services if anyone is injured.
  • -Obtain the details of all witnesses.
  • -Note the details of any third party, including name, address, vehicle registration number, the name of their insurance company and their policy number.
  • -Take pictures of the accident scene with your mobile phone.
  • -Do not admit liability, seek settlement or offer to negotiate.
  • Report the accident to us as soon as possible on 0344 209 0477.

What to do if your car is subject to a theft, attempted theft or malicious damage?

  • Call the police and obtain a crime reference number.
  • Report the incident as soon as possible on 0344 209 0477.

What to do if your car windscreen or window glass is broken or damaged?

If you have comprehensive cover and your claim is for the car windscreen, side or rear windows, or the sunroof.

Contact the claims department on 0800 072 7503.

Claims under this section will not affect your no claims discount.  If you do not have comprehensive cover, you can still call the claims department but you will have to pay the cost of the replacement or repair.
Did you know that you can manage your policy online with our self-service centre?
You can:

  • Access your policy online 24-7
  • View, download or print your policy documents
  • Change your payment details
  • Make a payment
  • Change your policy details


Emergency Medical Assistance or Repatriation

Telephone 01633 439016

If you call the above number it will be answered in a call centre operated by AXA Assistance who will service your call.


For travel insurance claims, telephone 0800 731 4044.