How to apply for lending
We aim to make lending applications easier and are committed to supporting your business, so you can build a strong case to secure the necessary funds. Our step-by-step guide takes you through our lending application process.
Choose one of three ways to start your application:
- Contact a relationship manager.
- Call one of our advisers – contact details are provided with each of our finance options.
- Fill in our online form to start the process – details are provided with each of our finance options.
Once you've submitted your application, one of our relationship managers will check to ensure they have all the information they need. We will try to give a decision as quickly as possible.
During the process of reviewing your application, we will:
- Ensure we have all the information we need. Sometimes we may need more documents, so it’s worthwhile providing your latest information up front so the application can be processed efficiently
- Complete background checks on your business, such as Companies House searches
- Assess how suitable and affordable the finance option is, explaining borrowing costs
- Explain other types of finance which may be suitable, so you can consider the best one for you
- Ask for permission to undertake a credit check on your business.
Your relationship manager will arrange a meeting to discuss the application if necessary. Following the application submission, they will complete a credit proposal.
Depending on the amount to be borrowed, your business sector and credit history, your application may be referred to our credit sanctioning team. If this happens, our decision may take a little longer but we will keep you informed. Our relationship managers can lend up to £500,000 at a local level without referral.
We will meet every reasonable request for finance (whether short-term or long-term) from viable business customers.
When we have made a decision on your application, we will inform you in writing. If your application is successful we’ll provide the appropriate documentation and let you know when and how the finance will be received.
If this is the case, we’ll work with your business to strengthen its financial position, and provide support for future applications. When applying for finance, your business is in a stronger position if it can demonstrate:
- A good financial track record (if it's an existing business).
- Sound management.
- A business idea expressed in a well-researched, well-presented business plan.
- Financial controls and expert support.
- Personal commitment from principal shareholders.
- Financial security.
If we are unable to provide finance, talk to your relationship manager who will let you know about any alternative forms of finance. Or, for more information go to the Better Business Finance website.
If you disagree with a declined application, you can follow the appeals process. This provides details of how and when the matter can be taken further.
ANY PROPERTY GIVEN AS SECURITY, WHICH MAY INCLUDE YOUR HOME, MAY BE REPOSSESSED IF YOU DO NOT KEEP UP REPAYMENTS ON YOUR MORTGAGE OR OTHER DEBTS SECURED ON IT.
Overdrafts are repayable on demand.
All lending is subject to a satisfactory credit assessment and we will need your permission to carry out a credit check on you and your business.
You should not apply for an amount that you cannot comfortably afford to repay now and in the future to avoid the possibility of legal action.
Important Legal Information
Lloyds Bank is a trading name of Lloyds Bank plc, Bank of Scotland plc and Lloyds Bank Corporate Markets plc. Lloyds Bank plc. Registered Office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales no.2065. Bank of Scotland plc. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Registered in Scotland no. SC327000. Lloyds Bank Corporate Markets plc. Registered office 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales no. 10399850. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 119278, 169628 and 763256 respectively.
Eligible deposits with us are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). We are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). Please note that due to FSCS and FOS eligibility criteria not all business customers will be covered.
Calls may be monitored or recorded in case we need to check we have carried out your instructions correctly and to help improve our quality of service.
The products and services outlined on this site may be offered by legal entities from across Lloyds Banking Group, including Lloyds Bank plc and Lloyds Bank Corporate Markets plc. Lloyds Bank plc and Lloyds Bank Corporate Markets plc are separate legal entities within the Lloyds Banking Group.