Safe deposit boxes
Our Market Street branch in Manchester is our first to offer Safe Deposit Boxes, providing protection for your valuables and piece of mind for you.
Safe Deposit Box sizes and prices
Limited number of boxes available. Subject to availability.
We are unable to accept the following items for storage:
- Wills or other documents that may be needed to administer your estate on death.
- Illegal items, those resulting from illegal activity, and those that have been or may be used in connection with acts of terrorism.
- Items which have been or are being used in any way to facilitate tax evasion.
- Weapons, including guns, knives and ammunition, any explosive, combustible or incendiary devices, chemicals, drugs, pollutants, gases, liquids or odorous, toxic or radioactive substances.
- Bank notes or coins of any jurisdiction that are still in circulation.
- Items requiring specific storage conditions, for example for preservation or because they are delicate or fragile
- Plants, plant matter, animal food or other perishable goods or living organisms.
- Any items which could cause harm or damage to the box or storage system.
- The Safe Deposit Box service is subject to limitations and exclusions. See the full terms and conditions or please ask in the Market Street, Manchester branch.
- Safe Deposit Boxes are subject to availability and there may be times when access is restricted, for instance for essential maintenance or there may be a delay if in use.
- A Safe Deposit Box is not an alternative to insurance – you are responsible for arranging suitable insurance for your possessions.
- To understand how the personal information you give us will be used, we strongly advise that you read our Privacy Statement or you can ask us for a copy.
- Each box is held and operated by one person. In the case of business customers, it is operated by their Authorised user
Frequently asked questions:
Firstly, you’ll need to check that the Business meets the Lloyds Bank Safe Deposit Box eligibility criteria. If it does, register your interest by completing the form and one of our branch colleagues will call you back to organise an appointment.
Your Authorised User will need to complete the Safe Deposit Box opening process face-to-face with a colleague at our Lloyds Bank Manchester Market Street branch. An application form will need to be completed by the business in advance of the visit to the branch and brought to the branch. The Authorised User will need to bring a form of ID with them.
To ensure the contents of your Safe Deposit Box are as secure as possible, our boxes are held in the name of the business and are operated by one person. This person, at all times, must be authorised by the business and must be a signatory for the qualifying account.
The Safe Deposit Box can only be accessed at our Manchester Market Street branch during its opening hours.
Business customers choose to keep all sorts of things within our Safe Deposit Boxes, but most tend to store business related items that would be impossible to replace. Examples include:
- Hard drives or USB flash drives
- Important documents, such as insurance policies and trademark papers
- Archives, such as bank or tax records
There are some things that business customers are unable to store within our Lloyds Bank Safe Deposit Boxes. Examples of such items include wills, bank notes or coins still in circulation, perishable goods, or any items that are illegal or the proceeds of crime. You can read the full list of prohibited items in our full Ts&Cs, on page 2.
Our Safe Deposit Boxes come in three different sizes:
- Small: 24x37x4.9cm
- Medium: 24x37x11.8cm
- Large: 24x37x18.6cm
The prices differ depending on the size of the Safe Deposit Box you choose:
- Small: £200 per year
- Medium: £325 per year
- Large: £475 per year
All prices are inclusive of VAT.
There is one simple, annual fee for hiring a Safe Deposit Box and this depends on the size you choose.
There are only a couple of other instances where you may be charged additional costs. For example, if we’re required to drill into the Safe Deposit Box lock, because you’ve lost the keys or you don’t return both keys to us at the end of the hire period. Read condition 8 of our full Ts&Cs for more information.
If you misplace the keys to your Safe Deposit Box, we will need to drill into the box to unlock it and then replace it with a new lock and keys. You might be required to cover the costs involved in this. A new set of keys can then be provided. Read condition 12 of our full Ts&Cs for more information.
We don’t provide insurance cover for valuables stored within a Lloyds Bank Safe Deposit Box. Our boxes are not an alternative to insurance, so it’s important to consider whether you have adequate insurance before storing your possessions with us. You should consider getting your items valued before you take out insurance to ensure you’re covered for their full replacement value.
We recommend documenting the contents of your Safe Deposit Box. For example, where possible, you should save purchase receipts, keep photocopies of your original documents at home and take photo evidence of the items you’ve stored with us.
Except in the limited circumstances set out in condition 5 of our Ts&Cs, items are stored at your sole risk.
If the Safe Deposit Box is held by a sole trader and they die, the person administering their estate will need to produce Grant of Representation before they’d be granted access to the items stored within your Safe Deposit Box.
If the Safe Deposit Box is held by a Business and the Authorised User dies, you will need to complete a Change of Authorised User form. There may be a delay to your use of the Safe Deposit Box service during the changeover.
Read condition 14 of our full Ts&Cs.
Lloyds Bank Safe Deposit Boxes aren’t waterproof. We’d suggest using waterproof packaging if you think your possessions could be damaged by water. It’s worth bearing in mind that we won’t be liable for any damage to items stored in the Safe Deposit Box caused by any acts outside our reasonable control (‘force majeure events’), such as storm damage. Read condition 5 of our full Ts&Cs.
Important Legal Information
Calls may be monitored or recorded in case we need to check we have carried out your instructions correctly and to help improve our quality of service.
The products and services outlined on this site may be offered by legal entities from across Lloyds Banking Group, including Lloyds Bank plc and Lloyds Bank Corporate Markets plc. Lloyds Bank plc and Lloyds Bank Corporate Markets plc are separate legal entities within the Lloyds Banking Group.
Lloyds Bank is a trading name of Lloyds Bank plc, Bank of Scotland plc and Lloyds Bank Corporate Markets plc. Lloyds Bank plc. Registered Office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales no.2065. Bank of Scotland plc. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Registered in Scotland no. SC327000. Lloyds Bank Corporate Markets plc. Registered office 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales no. 10399850. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 119278, 169628 and 763256 respectively.
We adhere to The Standards of Lending Practice which are monitored and enforced by the LSB: www.lendingstandardsboard.org.uk.
Eligible deposits with us are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). We are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). Please note that due to FSCS and FOS eligibility criteria not all business customers will be covered.