Appointing someone to manage your affairs

Why would I use this service?

Someone you trust can help you manage your account and money matters. Your family members, friends or even a neighbour, local authority, charity or carer can help you.

There may be several reasons why you need someone to help you. You may be living abroad or have a serious illness.

The person you choose can manage your account in a number of ways. Choosing the right option will depend on your needs and circumstances.

You can choose to allow one of the following types of access to your accounts:

  • A third party mandate arrangement – this allows someone to help when you need support with everyday banking either in branch or over the phone.
  • Power of Attorney – this gives someone the legal authority to deal with third parties such as banks or the local council on your behalf, and in some cases the legal power to make a decision on your behalf such as where you should live.
  • A deputy appointed by the Court of Protection – in this case, a court will appoint someone on your behalf if you are unable to do so.

Depending on circumstances, there are occasions where a different type of access may be required. Please see below:

  • Management of Residents Finances Certificate (Scotland only)
  • Direct Payments from a local authority
  • DWP Appointed Account
  • Access to Funds (Scotland only)

If you don’t want to hand over control of your finances, we also offer a Trusted Person Card. This is a debit card linked to your personal current account that you can give to someone you trust to shop for essentials or withdraw money from a cash machine on your behalf. For more information, click here.

Different access types

There are several types of access available. You can choose the one that’s best suited for your needs.

Find out moreFind out more about different types of access

Plan your next steps

Follow our step by step guide to help you register a trusted person to manage your account and finances.

Find out moreFind out more about planning your next steps

I’d like to help someone manage their finances

Find information for family, friends and support organisations.

Find out moreFind out more about helping someone else

What access do I need?

Complete a series of questions to determine what access is appropriate for your needs.

Access Needs QuestionnaireFind out more about planning your next steps

For further advice and information, contact the Office of the Public Guardian (Office of Care and Protection in Northern Ireland) or your solicitor and also read our Appointing someone to manage your affairspdf - opens in a new tab guide (PDF, 162kb).

How to register

You can register over the phone* or arrange a branch appointment by calling 0345 300 0071Call 0345 300 0071. Lines are open 8am - 8pm, seven days a week.

*In some circumstances you may not be able to register over the phone

You will need the following items to complete registration:

  • 2 forms of identification, one showing your name, one showing your address. Please refer to our list of acceptable identification.
  • The original legal documentation, or a copy certified by a solicitor, notary or donor/granter.
  • Proof of address if the person you are acting for has changed address since the legal document agreed.

Once we’ve got what we need, we’ll register the documents while you’re in the branch with our specialist team available to support you.

  • You can find more information on our Appointing someone to manage your affairspdf - opens in a new tab  (PDF, 162kb) guide.

  • Have your circumstances changed since you first set up access for someone to help manage your financial affairs? Don’t worry, we are here to help!

    Change of address

    If you or the named representative(s) change address you will need to tell us about it. You can do this by calling us or visiting your local branch.

    When a marriage or civil partnership ends

    If you and the named representative are married to each other or in a civil partnership and separate, the arrangement will come to an end unless the legal document states otherwise. This applies to all types of Power of Attorney, but not to court appointments such as deputyship or guardianship.


    You must notify us if the representative passes away and supply us with the death certificate or an updated Lasting Power of Attorney document stamped by the Office of the Public Guardian confirming the deceased (if applicable). You must also notify us if the account holder passes away and supply us with the death certificate.

    Other Reasons

    There can be other circumstances that bring an agreement to an end. Contact the Office of the Public Guardian or the court for more information.

Important legal information

Lloyds Bank plc. Registered office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales No. 2065. Lloyds Bank plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 119278.

Eligible deposits with us are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). We are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).