If you are coming to the end of your mortgage, credit card or loan payment holiday, we will contact you before it ends, there is no need to call us. You can use our coronavirus support tool to find the right solution for your needs and confirm what you would like to do in a few simple steps.


Tenants and Renters

1. What home insurance is there for tenants?

Whether you rent a flat just for yourself or a house for you and your family, the landlord must make sure the building and its fixtures are insured. It’s your personal responsibility as a tenant to arrange protection for your possessions against loss or damage.

Rental house insurance, rental home insurance, tenant’s insurance and home contents insurance for renters, are all used by insurers to refer to the same thing – insurance for your personal belongings if you rent or own a leasehold.

It’s important to check your insurance because insurers vary in what they cover as standard in their home insurance rental property policies. You should confirm if they include items such as:

  • TVs, computers, audio systems, games consoles, cameras and other electronic gadgets
  • Jewellery
  • Furniture and soft furnishings
  • Bikes and sports equipment
  • Books and DVDs
  • Garden furniture, tools and outbuildings

As a tenant, having home contents insurance for rented property gives you extra protection for personal possessions. It’s reassuring to know that loss or damage to your furniture, clothing, curtains and electronic goods will be covered against incidents like a burglary, or damage caused by a fire or flooding.

2. What are the benefits of home contents insurance?

Your possessions may be valuable and costly to replace, it is wise to have protection in place should the worst happen.

It may not be obvious what the total cash value of your possessions is. A sensible approach to working it out is as follows:

  1. Make a record of your possessions, by room, highest value items first.
  2. Remember to keep your records up to date, especially if you add valuable items.

You might have to give details on the policy for especially valuable items and you should check this in your contents insurance for rented property. There is likely be a limit on any claim.

3. How can Lloyds Bank help tenants?

Lloyds Bank home contents insurance for renters covers your belongings against theft, water damage and fire in your rented home.

Key benefits

  • A choice of two tiers of cover – Home Insurance and Home Insurance Premier.
  • Total cover limit of £75,000 to £100,000 with Home Insurance.
  • Total cover limit unlimited with Home Insurance Premier (inner limits apply).
  • Tailor your policy  to your needs by adding cover for accidental damage, legal expenses, high risk items, specified items, personal belongings away from the home and pedal cycle cover.

In addition, if you can’t live in your home because of an incident you’re claiming for, we’ll:

  1. Provide you and your family with alternative accommodation.
  2. Find a suitable place for your pets to stay, until you can return.

We’ll also replace locks and keys, freezer contents, money and cards, and belongings of visitors.

Limits, terms and exclusions apply. See our policy booklet for full details (PDF).

4. What’s covered by Lloyds Bank home contents insurance for renters?

As well as cover against theft, or damage from fire, smoke, storms or flooding, Lloyds Bank home contents insurance provides as standard:

  • Alternative accommodation – for your family and domestic pets if you can’t live in your home because of an event you’re covered for.
  • Money and credit cards – cover for your cards and cash when in the home.
  • Freezer contents – cover with a low £25 excess.
  • Visitor belongings – cover for items your guests have with them when visiting your home.
  • Replacement of sets cover – following a successful claim, we’ll replace undamaged items of a set if a reasonable match can’t be found.

5. What’s not covered by Lloyds Bank home contents insurance for renters as standard?

  • Damage to your building – this should be insured separately by your landlord.
  • Any belongings in detached garages, sheds and outbuildings  – unless selected as an added option.
  • Accidental damage – unless selected as an added option.

Important legal information

Lloyds Bank plc. Registered office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales No. 2065. Lloyds Bank plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 119278.

Eligible deposits with us are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). We are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).

Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded in case we need to check we have carried out your instructions correctly and to help us improve our quality of service.