Home insurance protects your home and its belongings. It can cover the cost of repairing or rebuilding your home if it's damaged by things like fire, storm or flood. And it can cover the cost of replacing the things in your home if they're stolen, or repairing or replacing them if they're damaged.

When you take out home insurance, you can choose between three types of cover:

  • Buildings - Covers the structure, fixtures and fittings of your home
  • Contents - Protects the things inside your home, like TVs, beds and cameras
  • Combined - Covers both your building and your belongings in one policy.

What type of home insurance do I need?

The type of cover you need depends on whether you own or rent your home:

  • If you are a homeowner, then combined buildings and contents insurance covers both your home and your things in it.
  • If you rent, you'll only need contents insurance. This will cover items in your home that are owned by you. Your landlord will arrange buildings insurance.

What does home insurance cover?

Home insurance is made up of contents and buildings insurance:


Buildings insurance

Buildings insurance covers the cost of repairing the structure, fixtures and fittings of your home. This includes:

  • Roofs
  • Walls
  • Windows
  • Pipes and cables
  • Fitted kitchen and bathrooms
Our building insurance also includes:
  • Home owner's legal responsibility cover - For things like claims made against you by visitors who are injured at your home.
  • Architects' and surveyors' fees - if the building is damaged due to an insured event, we'll pay the necessary fees.
  • A place to stay - We'll pay for somewhere to stay if your home is unfit to live in due to a claim. To find out more about what is and isn't covered, check our policy booklet (PDF, 1.1MB)

Limits, terms and exclusions apply.

Contents insurance

Contents insurance covers your items inside your home such as:

  • Furniture
  • TVs
  • Laptops
  • Games consoles
  • Soft Furnishings
  • Kitchenware
  • Clothes
  • Jewellery
  • Toys
  • Ornaments

A good way to think of it, is anything that you'd pack up and take with you if you were to move house. To confirm what other items are covered, refer to our policy booklet (PDF, 1.1MB) for full details.

Limits, terms and exclusions apply.

What doesn't home insurance cover?

There are some things that our home insurance doesn't cover. These include:

  • General wear and tear
  • Things breaking down or becoming faulty
  • Deliberate damage caused by you or your family
  • Theft by a guest invited into your home
  • Road vehicles and mobility scooters

To find out more about what is and isn't covered, check out our policy booklet (PDF, 1.1MB).

How much does home insurance cost?

How much your home insurance costs depends on lots of factors. For example, if you live near a river that floods often, or there are lots of burglaries in your area, your home insurance could cost more.

The following are some of the things we take into account when calculating your home insurance costs and how much you need to pay:

  • Where you live
  • When your home was built
  • Previous claims
  • Value of your contents

What is a home insurance premium?

A home insurance premium is how much you pay to take out a home insurance policy. The price of home insurance premiums can go up or down for lots of reasons, including:;

  • Severe weather. Cold and wet periods can make flooding and burst pipes more likely.
  • Tax changes. Insurance Premium Tax (IPT) increases affect your policy at renewal.
  • Repair costs. Rising repair costs may increase premiums.
  • Number of claims. The total amount of claims made can affect premium prices.

Ready for a quote?

In a matter of minutes, you can get a quote and our lowest price too. You can only get Home Insurance Select directly with us. Get a quote online or over the phone.

Get a home insurance quote

10% cheaper when you get your quote and buy online. Read about our online price.

Get a quote now

Retrieve a quote

Pick up where you left off.

Retrieve your quote

How to make a home insurance claim

Contact us

If you use Lloyds Internet Banking you can log on to see your policy number.

You can make your claim online, or if you prefer, you can call us.

Gather evidence

  • Note down the crime or lost property number if you have one.
  • If you need to make urgent repairs, take a photo before and after if you can. Keep the receipts for these repairs.
  • Make a list of everything that has been lost, stolen or damaged.
  • Keep damaged items where possible, and if you can, take photos of the damage.
  • Keep your original receipts for the items that you are claiming for. We may ask to see these to support your claim.

Await our decision

If your claim is successful, we can:

  • Repair or replace your things. If we can't, we may offer cash.
  • Arrange for an approved company to repair or rebuild your home. Any work done will be guaranteed for at least 12 months.
  • Provide somewhere to stay for you, your family and pets, if your home is unfit to live in due to a claim.

Limit, terms and exclusions apply. To find out more check out our policy booklet (PDF, 1.1MB).

Home insurance: FAQs

Do home insurance claims stay on a record?

Yes, they can stay on record up to 15 years after the policy has been cancelled.

Are new build homes cheaper to insure?

New build homes can be cheaper to insure as they often have more secure windows and doors, making it harder to break in. They are also likely to have more up to date electrics, reducing the likelihood of a fire.

Does home insurance cover mobile phones?

Home insurance usually covers your mobile phone if it's damaged in or stolen from your home. You may need extra cover for while you're outside of the home or for accidental damage. Accidental Damage cover is included with Home Insurance Select Silver and Gold policies.

Are garages covered by home insurance?

Garages and sheds are sometimes covered by buildings insurance. Check out your policy documents to see if you’d be covered and for more information.

Does home insurance cover the boiler?

Boilers are usually covered under buildings insurance for damage caused by things like fire, flood and storm. Normally boiler repairs and replacements are not included in home insurance policies. Home Emergency Cover can help cover the costs in case your boiler breaks down and needs replacing.

Does home insurance cover roof leaks?

This depends on what causes the leak. If the leak was caused by storm damage, then you may be covered. If the roof leak is due to general wear or poor maintenance, it may not be.

Does home insurance cover rising damp?

No. Rising damp is not covered by home insurance as it is often considered to be general wear and tear.