Top tips for a cosy home this winter
In this short video we look at how to prepare yourself and your home for winter, ensuring you're cosy and warm throughout.
Around your house
- Get your boiler, central heating and gas fires checked and serviced every year
- Ensure your loft and pipes are properly insulated and ventilated
- Use draft excluders and weather stripping on doors and windows
- Do you have an open fire? If you do, then have your chimney swept
- Wrap up, keep everyone cosy and warm
In your garden
- Check external lights, doors and gates are secure
- Check your roof for broken or loose tiles, cracks in the chimney or pointing
- Keep gutters and drainpipes clear of leaves and debris
- Insulate outside taps so they don’t freeze or burst
- If you know bad weather is on its way, make sure garden furniture is secured
- Help the local wildlife with bird feeders and bird baths
Be prepared for winter weather
- Locate your mains water tap, you might need to switch it off
- Keep your home insurance documents handy
- Write down the contact details of a local plumber, heating engineer and electrician
- Have an emergency kit ready, including torches, candles, food, warm clothing and a shovel
If you’re going to be away from home
- Leave your central heating on low
- Ask someone you trust to check on your house occasionally
- If you’re going to be away for a long time, contact your insurer to make sure you’re covered
Important legal information
Lloyds Bank plc. Registered office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales No. 2065. Lloyds Bank plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 119278.
Eligible deposits with us are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). We are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
Save the change® is a registered trademark for Lloyds Bank plc.
PhoneBank® is a registered trademark of Lloyds Bank plc.