Here’s how you could get money off your energy-saving home improvements

Discover ways to get money towards home improvements, including through the Energy Company Obligation scheme.

Someone painting a wall

Making energy efficient changes to your home now, could help save you money in the future. But we understand that you might be unable to afford, the cost. Handily, you may be able to get government help towards the costs of making energy improvements to your home under schemes like the Energy Company Obligation (ECO). ECO assistance isn’t the only scheme available, however. Here are some energy-saving funding schemes in the UK that could help you get started. 

These schemes could change, so keep checking back, or visit the listed websites for the latest information. 

Energy Company Obligation Scheme (ECO)

The UK government’s Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a scheme aimed at improving energy efficiency in homes across the country. By making investments in greener technologies, powering your home may become more cost-effective and more environmentally friendly.

You can apply for ECO assistance through your local council or your energy supplier. However, you’ll have to meet certain criteria to be successful. The scheme only applies to those who live in social housing or renters already receiving benefit support. To be eligible, you must show that:

  • You own or privately rent your property.
  • Your home has an energy rating on A to E.
  • You qualify for Universal Credit, Tax Credits, Child Benefits or another UK benefit allowance.

Your energy company should be able to supply a full list of qualifying benefits. You only need to qualify for one type of support to apply for the scheme.

Through the Energy Company Obligation you could get help with the costs of wall insulation, loft insulation or even discount on a new boiler.

Use Ofgem’s supplier contact details to check if your supplier is part of the ECO Scheme and get in contact with them.

Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS)

To encourage property owners in England and Wales to install low carbon heating systems, the government is providing grants through the Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS).

The scheme is open from 2022 to 2028 with one grant per property.

You can get:

  • £7,500 off the cost and installation of an air source heat pump.
  • £5,000 off the cost and installation of a biomass boiler.
  • £7,500 off the cost and installation of a ground source heat pump.

For the latest information, including the eligibility criteria, visit

Smart Export Guarantee (SEG)

If you have, or are looking to install, renewable energy measures in your home, you could be eligible for Smart Export Guarantee (SEG). If your electricity is produced by solar panels, wind, anaerobic digestion or hydro-micro combined heat and power then you could sell your excess energy back to the national grid.

Make sure you sign up to the SEG tariff to receive payment. If you don’t, your energy will go back into the grid, but you wont get paid for it.

Find the latest information and sign up to SEG.

Warmer Homes Scotland

Whether you’re a private tenant or have your own home, if you’ve lived in Scotland for more than 12 months you could be eligible for the Warmer Homes Scotland scheme.

You could get help to install energy-saving home improvements, including heating and wall and loft insulation.

In many cases, all costs are covered by the Scottish government, but you’ll have to meet certain criteria. And if there’s a lot of work to be done, you may need to contribute.

Find out more about Warmer Homes Scotland.

Home Energy Scotland Loan (HES)

If you don’t meet the criteria for Warmer Homes Scotland, or are a landlord, then the HES loan could be an option.

It’s an interest-free loan to help you make energy-saving home improvements. The amount you can borrow will depend on what changes you wish to make.

The Energy Saving Trust can tell you if you’re eligible and how to apply.

Nest Scheme Wales

Nest is a Welsh government scheme designed to help Wales become more energy-efficient. The portal is full of useful information and advice on how to save energy, energy tariffs and benefit entitlements. And all of it is free.

If you or someone in your household receives means tested benefits, you could be eligible for free home improvements.

Find out more about Nest.

Affordable Warmth Scheme Northern Ireland

The Affordable Warmth Scheme in Northern Ireland offers grants up to £7,500 to cover the costs of insulation, double glazed windows and heating updates.

You may be eligible for this scheme if you:

  • Live in Northern Ireland.
  • Own and occupy your house.
  • Rent from a private landlord.
  • Have a total annual gross income of less than £23,000.

See the Affordable Warmth Scheme latest information and criteria.

Boiler Replacement Scheme Northern Ireland

In Northern Ireland you can apply for support with the cost to replace your boiler.

You may be eligible if:

  • Your boiler is 15 years old or older.
  • Your household income is less than £40,000 a year.

Find out more about Boiler Replacement Scheme.

Homeowner inspiration

Inspirational ideas for big or small changes for your home.

Homeowner inspiration articles