Documentary Letters of Credit
Documentary letters of credit give security of payment to exporters and confidence to importers that the goods they are buying have been shipped in good order.
Why use documentary letters of credit?
- Exporters who present their shipping documents in order and on time can be paid securely and quickly
- Importers can ensure that they only pay for their goods once they have been shipped and the shipping documentation is in order
- Importers may also be able to negotiate better prices as payment is guaranteed by their bank.
- We can confirm an exporter’s letter of credit which will guarantee secure payment against correct documents
- We can issue an importer’s letter of credit and guarantee payment to an overseas supplier
- Documentary letters of credit leverage our banking network to provide confidence to counterparties engaged in export and import transactions
All documentary letters of credit are issued under universally accepted rules set out in Uniform Customs and Practice for Documentary Credits (UCP) publication 600, issued by the International Chamber of Commerce.
How to apply
Documentary Letters of Credit are subject to internationally agreed banking rules (ICC Uniform Customs and Practice for Documentary Credits).
Important Legal Information
Lloyds Bank is a trading name of Lloyds Bank plc, Bank of Scotland plc and Lloyds Bank Corporate Markets plc. Lloyds Bank plc. Registered Office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales no.2065. Bank of Scotland plc. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Registered in Scotland no. SC327000. Lloyds Bank Corporate Markets plc. Registered office 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales no. 10399850. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 119278, 169628 and 763256 respectively.
The products and services outlined on this site may be offered by legal entities from across Lloyds Banking Group, including Lloyds Bank plc and Lloyds Bank Corporate Markets plc. Lloyds Bank plc and Lloyds Bank Corporate Markets plc are separate legal entities within the Lloyds Banking Group.
Calls may be monitored or recorded in case we need to check we have carried out your instructions correctly and to help improve our quality of service.
Eligible deposits with us are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). We are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). Please note that due to FSCS and FOS eligibility criteria not all business customers will be covered.