From a sandwich bar to a fish and chip shop, there are risks involved with operating any food-related business. Takeaway and café insurance can take care of these risks and removes uncertainties, allowing you to get on with running your business.

Get a quick quote

Get a quick quote online from a panel of insurers then speak to an expert adviser who will check your details and make sure you have the right cover before you buy.

Get an estimate in less than 10 minutes.

Get a quick quote

Do you need help to understand what cover you need?

Call 0345 377 0002

Lines are open 8am-6pm Monday to Friday, except Bank Holidays.

Our Business Insurance Provider

We’ve chosen to work with Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited, one of the UK’s largest insurance brokers. They have access to a panel of leading insurers both online and over the phone.

  • One of the great things about the food industry is the fabulous diversity of cafes and takeaways. Serving a huge variety of hot and cold food and drinks from around the world in all kinds of settings from tea rooms to coffee shops and Bistros. And with every food imaginable on the menu from Pizza to Indian and Chinese or Kebabs and Fish and Chips

    But whatever type of business you run, the one thing that you have in common with your competitors is that busy food outlets carry a number of risks and challenges. This means that you’ll need the right insurance in place to protect you, your customers, and your reputation.

    You can help safeguard your business against unforeseen problems with the right takeaway and café insurance. You can build the policy so that it meets the needs of your business so whether you own a chippy, a kebab shop or serve afternoon tea, you can be sure that you’ll have the right insurance in place.

    Get a quick quote

    Get an estimate in less than 10 minutes.

  • Running a café or takeaway shop takes hard work, organisation and dedication. With long and unsociable working hours, it also takes passion and enthusiasm to make your business a success. It should be remembered though, that even when your business is going well, trouble could be brewing. Making sure that you have contents cover is a must so that expensive machines which are vital to your business can be replaced or repaired should they fail or become damaged. A coffee house isn't the same if it can't provide its customers with their much-needed caffeine fix.

    It not just the inside of your shop you need to think of, your shop front is the first thing customers see. Claims for damaged glass or signs or doors are quite common so make sure you think about having shop front cover in place.

    Equally as essential to your business is Public Liability insurance. This typically covers you just in case a customer slips, trips, falls or suffers another injury while visiting your café or takeaway shop. Compensation claims can be costly and could result in your café or takeawayclosing its doors due to the financial pressure on your business, so having public liability insurance could be the difference that keeps you in business.

    An often overlooked insurance is Business Interruption. This is designed to provide financial protection should an unforeseen event such as a flood or fire stop you from trading for some time. You may have spent months, if not years, building up a loyal customer base which could be ruined in seconds if your business is forced to close and you don’t have the means to open again any time soon.

    Get a quick quote

    Get an estimate in less than 10 minutes.

Cafés and takeaway shops are exposed to more risks than many other types of business because you're dealing with customers, staff, suppliers as well as the hazards that the kitchen can bring, on a daily basis. Having insurance in place helps to limit the damage that these risks can cause should the unexpected happen.

Public Liability insurance

A busy café or takeaway shop will have plenty of customers visiting during opening hours. This means that you have more of a need than many other types of businesses for public liability insurance. This can offer protection in the event of a customer making a claim against your business with the cost of compensation and legal fees being covered. Although Public Liability insurance isn’t a legal requirement it’s essential that youhave cover in place should a customer or supplier get injured or fall ill as a result of your business.

Employers’ Liability insurance

If you have anyone working for you in your café or takeaway shop, even if they’re employed on a casual or temporary basis, you’re required by law to take out Employers’ Liability insurance. Most businesses with employees must have the insurance in place to cover any claims from staff members who’ve been harmed as a result of working for you.

Buildings insurance

If you own the building where you run your café or takeaway shop from, then Buildings insurance is designed to cover the rebuildand associated costs incurred following a claim. It will also cover any permanent fixtures and fittings if they were to become damaged following an insured incident such as a fire or a flood.

Contents insurance

The contents of your café or takeaway shop are essential to keep your business running. This cover protects critical items such as kitchen equipment, tables and chairs if they're stolen or damaged.

Shop front cover

It not just the inside of your shop you need to think of, your shop front is the first thing customers see. Claims for damaged glass or signs or doors are quite common so make sure you think about having shop front cover in place.

Business interruption

If the unexpected should happen and your business suffers a flood or fire, for example, you may not be able to operate your caféor takeaway shop for a while. Business interruption is designed to cover you for a reduction or loss of income caused by such an event so that you’re not out of pocket while you’re getting your business up and running again.

Get a quick quote
Get an estimate in less than 10 minutes.

  • If your business is impacted by one of the following events, then you’ll be eligible to make a claim:

    • Fire, smoke, lightning, explosion and earthquake
    • Escape of water or oil from any tank, apparatus, pipe or appliance
    • Storm or flood
    • Impact
    • Theft or attempted theft
    • Subsidence, landslip or ground heave
    • Accidental damage and malicious damage
  • Your customers part with their hard-earned cash to buy your food and drinks and so you’re handling money throughout your working day. If this is lost or stolen, and you have selected the optional cover, then it should be covered providing it was taken:

    • From your café or takeaway shop during business hours
    • From your business premises during business hours
    • While in transit
    • From a bank night safe
    • From a residential address (for a smaller amount)
    • While out of a safe, out of hours
    • While in a safe, out of hours
  • If you have anyone to help you run your shop, then it’s very likely that you’ll need Employers’ Liability insurance. Most employers are required by law to have at least £5 million of cover in place or face a fine of up to £2,500 for every day they are not properly insured. As this type of cover is a legal requirement, make sure you discuss your circumstances with an insurance specialist so that your business is fully protected.

  • It’s normally an optional cover, so if you need it make sure you ask. It can cover the costs of legal fees and expenses of a lawyer incurred. These are the sort of things that could lead to legal expenses being incurred:

    • Employment disputes
    • Prosecution
    • Property
    • Taxation protection
    • Debt recovery
    • Data protection
    • Bodily injury
    • Contract disputes
  • Arthur J. Gallagher’s is one of the largest insurance brokers in the UK. We’ve chosen to partner with them to bring you the first class service and products that come from using a broker. You may have also seen that Arthur J. Gallagher is the proud sponsors of Premiership Rugby.

    You’ll also benefit from:

    Quick and easy quotes – Save yourself time and hassle by getting quotes online.

    Choice – You get the best chance of finding the right deal by choosing from a wide range of quotes from a panel of insurers.

    Confidence – Specialist insurance advisers will provide you with professional advice and guidance to help you fully protect your business.

    So, if you’re looking for shop insurance which can be tailored to meet the individual needs of your business with the support of a global insurance brokerage, then look no further.

Can't find what you are looking for?

Call 0345 377 0002 Lines open 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday.

Request a callback

Help & Guidance

Read our guides to help understand what Insurance you need to protect your business.

Help & guidance

Existing customers

Contact numbers for all your queries including details for making a claim.

Contact Directory

Important legal information

Lloyds Bank plc. Registered office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales No. 2065. Lloyds Bank plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 119278. Telephone: 020 7626 1500

Calls may be monitored or recorded in case we need to check we have carried out your instructions correctly and to help improve our quality of service.

Eligible deposits with us are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). We are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). Please note that due to FSCS and FOS eligibility criteria not all business customers will be covered.

Insurance covers are subject to the individual terms, conditions and exclusions of the insurer providing them. Always review the policy documentation supplied during the quote process to ensure you have the cover you need.