Our guide can help your business to use a bank card safely to avoid scams.
How to use your business bank card safely
You or your staff may need to pay for things outside of work. The safest way to do this is with a debit or credit card.
This gives you the best kind of protection against scams.
If you can, use a cash machine inside a bank branch. It’s safer and can give you more privacy. Keep an eye out for people looking over your shoulder. You don’t want to let anyone stand close enough to see what you're doing.
Shield the keypad so no one can see what you enter.
And if someone offers to help you use the card, put it away and leave. This is a scam to try to see your PIN or steal your card.
More and more shops use a card machine to let you pay by card. If you pay this way, follow these steps to stay safe:
- Hold on to your card - Whoever serves you shouldn’t have to take your card away. Never let it out of your sight.
- Go to a till - You can always pay at a till or wait for a card machine to come to you.
- Touch and go - Contactless or a phone app lets you pay for things quickly and safely. And you don’t have to use your PIN.
- Hide your PIN - Shield the keypad so no one can see what you enter.
Lloyds Bank will never ask you to:
- Share account details like user ID, password and memorable information.
- Tell us the security number for Telephone Banking.
- Tell us the PIN code or expiry date of your business bank card.
- Move money to another account
Important legal information
Lloyds Bank plc. Registered office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales No. 2065. Lloyds Bank plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 119278. Telephone: 020 7626 1500
Eligible deposits with us are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). We are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). Please note that due to FSCS and FOS eligibility criteria not all business customers will be covered.
Calls may be monitored or recorded in case we need to check we have carried out your instructions correctly and to help improve our quality of service.