Looking along the high street, it's clear that every shop is different and the same is true of shop insurance. So, whether you run a florist, a pet shop or a furniture store, the cover can be tailored to meet the unique needs of your business.

Get a quick quote

Get a quick quote online from a panel of insurers then speak to an expert adviser who will check your details and make sure you have the right cover before you buy.

Get a quick quote

Get an estimate in less than 10 minutes.

Do you need help to understand what cover you need?

Call 0345 377 0002

Lines are open 8am-6pm Monday to Friday, except Bank Holidays.

Our Business Insurance Provider

We’ve chosen to work with Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited, one of the UK’s largest insurance brokers. They have access to a panel of leading insurers both online and over the phone.

  • Shop insurance provides cover for retail businesses that are run from a commercial property, either on the high street or based in a shopping centre. So, if you’re in the business of retail, then chances are you’ll need shop insurance.

    You should consider getting protection in place if you have:

    • Customers who visit your shop
    • Stock that you sell, or you repair your customers’ goods
    • Money that you keep at your shop, in your home or transport around

    This means that if you sell clothes, haberdashery, fireplaces, jewellery, furniture, bread, books, vegetables, wine, cheese, flowers, or almost anything else, shop insurance is for you. From charity shops to department stores and everything in between, it’s your responsibility to protect your business against risks such as theft, fire and flood.

    You can’t put a price on the peace of mind of knowing that you and your livelihood is covered should the unexpected happen.

    Get a quick quote

    Get an estimate in less than 10 minutes.

  • Because your business is built around your customers, Public Liability is a must. If a customer slips on wet flooring, it may be as painful for you as it is for them. Thanks to a change in the way that personal injury claims are calculated back in 2017, there is now no cap on the amount of compensation that can be awarded if your business is found at fault. Cover usually starts from £1m, but you should take out as much Public Liability insurance as you may need.

    If you hire employees to help you run your shop, you’ll also need Employers’ Liability. Why? Firstly, this cover is a legal requirement, and secondly, it protects against the costs of an employee claiming compensation, when you’re found to be negligent for injury or illness suffered whilst working for you. Not having adequate employers' liability in place could be a costly mistake to make as you could be fined up to £2,500 for every day that you're not insured.

    And although you might like to think that the worst will never happen to you, being prepared for a disaster such as a fire isessential for the future of your business. In the aftermath of a fire in your shop, it's unlikely that you'd be able to trade. This would result in your businesssuffering a loss of income which could leave you unable to pay your employees and jeopardising the future of your shop. Don’t risk having to cease trading duringsuch a difficult time by ensuring that you have Business Interruption insurance in place. It could be the difference between your shop’s survival or closure.

    Get a quick quote

    Get an estimate in less than 10 minutes.

Whether you sell clothes or cakes, flowers or furniture, you can choose the cover you need to protect your shop, its contents, your customers and employees, as well as your ability to continue trading, should the unexpected happen.

Public Liability Insurance

A busy shop equals lots of customers which means that you need Public Liability insurance. This can offer protection in the event of a customer making a claim, with the cost of compensation and legal fees being covered. Although this vital insurance isn't a legal requirement, should a customer or supplier get injured or their property is damaged while in your shop, it'll be invaluable.

Employers’ Liability Insurance

If you have anyone help you run your shop, even if they’re employed on a casual or temporary basis, you’re required by law to take out Employers’ Liability insurance. Most businesses with employees must have the insurance in place to cover any claims from staff members who’ve been harmed as a result of working for you.

Buildings Insurance

If you own the shop you trade from then you will need Buildings insurance. It is designed to cover the rebuild and associated costs incurred following a claim. It will also cover any permanent fixtures and fittings if they were to become damaged following and insured incident such as a fire or a flood.

Goods in Transit

This will cover damage or loss of any contents or stock whilst being carried in your own vehicle or being loaded into your shop. Having spent hard earned money at the cash and carry, it’s a good idea to make sure you have the right insurance in case the worst happens.

Business Interruption

If an insured event occurs that means your shop is unable to open, it's not only a inconvenience for your customers but could have significant consequences for your business too. Business interruption could cover you for additional costs incurred and a reduction or loss of income caused as a result of an insured loss such as a fire or a flood.

Get a quick quote

Get an estimate in less than 10 minutes.

  • While stock and contents are predominantly covered while they're inside your shop, most insurers offer goods in transit cover as standard to accommodate stock collection and business deliveries.

  • If money is lost or stolen and you have selected this optional cover, your policy will typically include the following cover sections.

    • From your shop during business hours
    • While in transit
    • From a bank night safe
    • From a residential address (for a smaller amount)
    • While out of a safe, out of hours
    • While in a safe, out of hours
  • If you have anyone help you run your shop, then it’s very likely that you’ll need Employers’ Liability insurance. Most employers are required by law to have at least £5 million of cover in place or face a fine of up to £2,500 for every day they are not properly insured. As this type of cover is a legal requirement, make sure you discuss your circumstances with an insurance specialist so that your business is fully protected.

  • Whilst public liability insurance isn’t mandatory under UK law, it should be top of your list of priorities. Not only does it safeguard the interests of both your customers and the public but also protects you financially should someone take legal action against you if they’re injured, or their property is damaged.

  • Arthur J. Gallagher’s is one of the largest insurance brokers in the UK. We’ve chosen to partner with them to bring you the first class service and products that come from using a broker. You may have also seen that Arthur J. Gallagher is the proud sponsors of Premiership Rugby.

    You’ll also benefit from:

    Quick and easy quotes – Save yourself time and hassle by getting quotes online.

    Choice – You get the best chance of finding the right deal by choosing from a wide range of quotes from a panel of insurers.

    Confidence – Specialist insurance advisers will provide you with professional advice and guidance to help you fully protect your business.

    So, if you’re looking for shop insurance which can be tailored to meet the individual needs of your business with the support of a global insurance brokerage, then look no further.

Can't find what you are looking for?

Call 0345 377 0002

Lines open 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday.

Request a callback

Help & Guidance

Read our guides to help understand what insurance you need to protect your business.

Help & Guidance

Existing customers

Contact numbers for all your queries including details for making a claim.

Contact directory

Insurance covers are subject to the individual terms, conditions and exclusions of the insurer providing them. Always review the policy documentation supplied during the quote process to ensure you have the cover you need.

Important Legal Information

Calls may be monitored or recorded in case we need to check we have carried out your instructions correctly and to help improve our quality of service.

The products and services outlined on this site may be offered by legal entities from across Lloyds Banking Group, including Lloyds Bank plc and Lloyds Bank Corporate Markets plc. Lloyds Bank plc and Lloyds Bank Corporate Markets plc are separate legal entities within the Lloyds Banking Group.

Lloyds Bank is a trading name of Lloyds Bank plc, Bank of Scotland plc and Lloyds Bank Corporate Markets plc. Lloyds Bank plc. Registered Office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales no.2065. Bank of Scotland plc. Registered Office: The Mound, Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. Registered in Scotland no. SC327000. Lloyds Bank Corporate Markets plc. Registered office 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales no. 10399850. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 119278, 169628 and 763256 respectively.

We adhere to The Standards of Lending Practice which are monitored and enforced by the LSB: www.lendingstandardsboard.org.uk.

Eligible deposits with us are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). We are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). Please note that due to FSCS and FOS eligibility criteria not all business customers will be covered.