ClickSafe® is a free service that gives you extra protection when you use your business credit, debit and charge cards to shop online. It is also known as ‘Visa Secure’ and ‘Mastercard® Identity Check'.
Features and Benefits
- Get extra protection when you use your business debit, credit and charge cards to make online payments.
- Reduce the chances of someone using your card details to buy items fraudulently over the internet.
- Receive this free service automatically as part of our commitment to helping you stay secure online.
ClickSafe® assesses each online transaction you make using your business credit, debit and charge cards. It either verifies the payment automatically, or asks you for additional information to make sure you are indeed the card owner.
Which cards are covered?
ClickSafe® covers your Lloyds Bank business credit, debit and charge cards, as well as your personal debit cards and credit cards.
How does ClickSafe® work?
When you buy something online, ClickSafe® issues a receipt to the retailer at the end of the checkout process. The receipt includes details of your purchase, such as the site name, purchase amount, and date.
A processing page will appear after you’ve entered your payment details or, in some cases, you may be prompted to provide extra information to help us verify the payment.
Will I need to apply for a new card to use ClickSafe®?
No. ClickSafe® is designed to protect the cards you already have as well as any new cards you receive from us.
How many online retailers are participating in the ClickSafe® service?
Many online retailers are already participating in the ClickSafe® service. As the service grows, we’ll continue to add more.
How much does ClickSafe® cost?
Nothing – it’s free to all Lloyds Bank customers.
What browser do I need to use for ClickSafe®?
You’ll need to use one of the following:
- Windows Microsoft® Internet Explorer 5.5 and above
- Windows Netscape Navigator® 7.1 and above
- Windows AOL® 9
- Windows Firefox® 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0
- Opera® 9.5
- Macintosh Safari®
Can I use ClickSafe® from any device?
Yes. ClickSafe® works on any computer, tablet or mobile phone that connects to the web and has a compatible browser.
What if I have software that eliminates pop-up boxes?
Some software doesn’t allow pop-ups. If you have this software installed, disable it or change the settings to allow pop-ups so that ClickSafe® can operate properly.
What should I do if I’m buying something online but the ClickSafe® summary box doesn’t appear?
It may be that the retailer doesn’t use ClickSafe® yet, but you’ll still be able to buy from them. Simply follow the normal checkout process.
ClickSafe® provides you with extra security when you purchase goods and services online. It is not intended to verify or endorse websites (or the goods and services offered on those websites) which offer the service. Please read these conditions carefully before using this service. These conditions should be read in conjunction with ‘Your Banking Relationship with us ’ – Personal Banking terms and conditions and/or any other terms and conditions specific to your Account.
For commercial accounts these conditions should be read in conjunction with the business cardholder conditions for the card and the agreement between the business and the Bank under which the cards are issued to the business cardholders.
1. Meaning of some words in this agreement
- 'Account': for personal accounts this means your account for which you have a personal credit or debit card. For business accounts this means the account held by the Business with us to which all debit and/or credit/charge cards transactions are debited.
- 'Business': the business at whose request the debit or credit/charge card has been issued to the business cardholder.
- 'Business cardholder': the individual to whom a debit or credit/charge card has been issued on the accounts.
- 'Service': the secure electronic payment service for card transactions online provided by EMC Computer Systems (UK) Ltd or EMC Information Systems International for Ireland on our behalf.
- 'Security codes': card information, memorable information or other information we use to check your identity.
- We/us/our/Bank: Lloyds Bank plc.
- You/your: for personal accounts this means the account holder. For business accounts held by a sole trader, you/your means the sole trader and any other business cardholder on such accounts. For any other type of business customer, 'you/your' means the business cardholder.
2. Using this service
When you use ClickSafe®, both these conditions and your account conditions will apply. If they contradict each other, the relevant condition in your account conditions will apply.
All Lloyds Bank card accounts participate in this service. It is not a requirement to register for the service prior to using your card online. The service will assess each transaction and will only be invoked in situations where authentication is required due to the assessed risk of the transaction.
When making a purchase online and authentication is required, you will see a pop up in a new window. You will then be asked to complete some security questions to authenticate your identity. When you have successfully completed the security questions your purchase will be processed.
In a small percentage of high risk transactions the authentication process may not be invoked and the authentication request may be denied. Should this occur contact numbers to our fraud contact centre will be provided to allow genuine transactions to proceed.
Some software may not allow pop-ups. If you have this software installed you must disable it or change the settings to allow pop-ups for Lloyds Bank.
We will check your identity before we can accept any instructions from you or discuss your accounts. To use the service you may need to use security codes.
- Not let anyone else know or use your security codes.
- Not write down your security codes.
- Take all reasonable steps to ensure your security codes stay secret.
If you think someone knows your security codes or may be accessing your account or the service without your authority you must notify us immediately. You should check statements we send you and let us know urgently about any errors.
As long as we have been given your security codes, we are entitled to assume we are dealing with you and will:
- act on (and you will be bound by) all instructions
- allow access to confidential information we hold about you and your accounts, without getting further confirmation from you.
However, you/the business will not be liable for any instructions you do not give yourself, unless we can prove you were acting fraudulently or without reasonable care (for example if you do not tell us as soon as you think someone knows your security codes or is accessing your account without your authority or you broke your obligations in condition three).
5. Personal information
We will collect certain personal information from you for verification and security purposes, which we will pass on to EMC Computer Systems (UK) Ltd or EMC Information Systems for Ireland who is carrying out this service on our behalf.
Your security codes will not be passed on to online retailers participating in this service.
We may give the police or any prosecuting or regulatory authority any information they need if we think it will help them find out if someone else is using your security codes.
For further details about how we use your personal information please see ‘Your Banking Relationship with us ’ – Personal Banking terms and conditions and/or any other terms and conditions specific to your account. For business accounts, see the 'personal and business data' section of the terms and conditions which apply to the business current accounts and/or debit or credit/charge cards.
6. Protection of software
By using this service you will not acquire any ownership rights, title or interest in or to the software made available to you.
You must not:
- Do anything which may damage, interfere with or disrupt the software or the way it is provided; or
- Display, alter or use any trademarks without the owner's prior written permission.
7. Ending your use of the service
We may end the service immediately if you close your account/s or you no longer have any cards registered for the service or, by telling you personally and giving you 30 days notice.
We may also suspend or end the service immediately or decline to follow an instruction if we think:
- There is a breach of security or we are uncertain whether an instruction is valid (but, please note, we are not bound to check whether an instruction is valid).
- You have broken an agreement you have with us.
- You are not eligible for an account or service.
- We reasonably think you or someone else is using or has obtained, or may use or obtain, the service illegally, fraudulently or improperly.
- There is a legal requirement or a court or other authority tells us to act in that way.
If we do take action, we will act in a manner we reasonably think is proportionate in the circumstances and will tell you before doing so, if we can reasonably do so.
This service may be ended without notice if such action is required by Visa International Services Association or Mastercard
International who run the payment systems for the cards used with your account.
8. Changes to these conditions
We may change any terms of this agreement. We will tell you personally at least 30 days before we make a change to your disadvantage. We can make any other changes straight away by telling you personally or publishing them on our website.
This service may be changed without notice if such action is required by Visa International Services Association or Mastercard® International who run the payment systems for the cards used with your account.
9. General information
When we tell you personally about a change we will do so by letter, email or any other way by which communications are sent to you individually.
You can usually use the service at any time but repairs, updates and routine maintenance to our systems and those of our suppliers mean the service may be slow or unavailable from time to time. We will not be liable if the service is unavailable at any time for these reasons.
This service and these conditions are governed by English law. Any disputes arising from this site shall be resolved by the English courts, unless you can show you accessed the site from Scotland in which case the Scottish courts may be used.
Important legal information
Lloyds Bank plc. Registered office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales No. 2065. Lloyds Bank plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 119278. Telephone: 020 7626 1500
Eligible deposits with us are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). We are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). Please note that due to FSCS and FOS eligibility criteria not all business customers will be covered.
Calls may be monitored or recorded in case we need to check we have carried out your instructions correctly and to help improve our quality of service.