Safe Deposit Boxes
Our Market Street branch in Manchester is our first to offer Safe Deposit Boxes, providing protection for your valuables and peace of mind for you.
What is a Safe Deposit Box?
If you’re looking for a secure place to store possessions that are impossible to replace or that hold sentimental value, a Safe Deposit Box could be the answer.
You can select from three different Safe Deposit Box sizes, each with an annual fee at our Manchester Market Street branch.
You decide what you want to keep safe in our secure vault – it’s the perfect place to store everything from jewellery and family heirlooms to important documents. Restrictions apply*
This service is also available to our Business Customers.
Safe Deposit Box sizes and prices
Limited number of boxes available. Subject to availability.
We are unable to accept the following items for storage:
- Wills or other documents that may be needed to administer your estate on death.
- Illegal items, those resulting from illegal activity, and those that have been or may be used in connection with acts of terrorism.
- Items which have been or are being used in any way to facilitate tax evasion.
- Weapons, including guns, knives and ammunition, any explosive, combustible or incendiary devices, chemicals, drugs, pollutants, gases, liquids or odorous, toxic or radioactive substances.
- Bank notes or coins of any jurisdiction that are still in circulation.
- Items requiring specific storage conditions, for example for preservation or because they are delicate or fragile
- Plants, plant matter, animal food or other perishable goods or living organisms.
- Any items which could cause harm or damage to the box or storage system.
- The Safe Deposit Box service is subject to limitations and exclusions. See the full terms and conditions (PDF, 161KB) or please ask in the Market Street, Manchester branch.
- Safe Deposit Boxes are subject to availability and there may be times when access is restricted, for instance for essential maintenance or there may be a delay if in use.
- A Safe Deposit Box is not an alternative to insurance – you are responsible for arranging suitable insurance for your possessions.
- To understand how the personal information you give us will be used, we strongly advise that you read our Privacy Statement or you can ask us for a copy.
- Each box is held and operated by one person.
Frequently asked questions:
Firstly, you’ll need to check that you meet the Lloyds Bank Safe Deposit Box eligibility criteria. If you do, register your interest by completing the form and one of our branch colleagues will call you back to schedule an appointment. You’ll need to complete your Safe Deposit Box application face-to-face with a colleague at our Lloyds Bank Market Street branch, in Manchester. Please remember to bring a form of ID with you.
There are several items that you’re not able to store within our Lloyds Bank Safe Deposit Boxes. Examples of such items include your will, bank notes or coins still in circulation, perishable goods, or any items that are illegal or the proceeds of crime. You can check the full list of prohibited items in our full Ts&Cs (PDF, 161KB), on page 2.
People choose to keep all sorts of things within our Safe Deposit Boxes, but most tend to store items that are impossible to replace or hold sentimental value. Examples of these items include:
- Family heirlooms such as jewellery, watches, medals and antique coins.
- Important papers such as deeds, passports, legal documents or keys.
- Collectables such as small artworks or collectors’ items.
To ensure the contents of your Safe Deposit Box is as secure as possible, our boxes can only be held in the name of one person. If the Safe Deposit Box is in your name, only you may access the viewing room and box. There are a few exceptions to this rule, which are covered in our full Ts&Cs (PDF, 161KB). The Safe Deposit Box can only be accessed at our Manchester Market Street branch during its opening hours.
If you die, the person administering your estate will need to produce Grant of Representation before they’re able to access the items stored within your Safe Deposit Box. Read condition 14 of our full Ts&Cs (PDF, 161KB).
We don’t provide insurance cover for items stored within a Lloyds Bank Safe Deposit Box. Our boxes are not an alternative to insurance, so it’s important to consider whether you have adequate insurance before storing any valuables with us. You should consider getting items such as jewellery valued before you take out insurance to ensure you’re covered for their full replacement value.
Our Safe Deposit Boxes provide state-of-the-art security for your valuables; however, if the worst were to happen, then except in the limited circumstances set out in our Ts&Cs (PDF, 161KB), items are stored at your sole risk.
Lloyds Bank Safe Deposit Boxes aren’t waterproof. We’d recommend using waterproof packaging if you think your possessions could be damaged by water. It’s worth bearing in mind that we won’t be liable for any damage to items stored in the Safe Deposit Box caused by any acts outside our reasonable control (‘force majeure events’), such as storm damage. Read our full Ts&Cs (PDF, 161KB) for more information.
We don’t offer a jewellery valuation service at Lloyds Bank, but there are many jewellers on the high street that can arrange a professional valuation for you. It’s worth noting that they do usually charge for this service.
If you misplace the keys to your Safe Deposit Box, we will need to drill into the box to unlock it and then replace it with a new lock and keys. You may be required to cover the costs involved in doing so. A new set of keys can then be provided. Read condition 12 of our full Ts&Cs (PDF, 161KB) for more information.
There are different prices depending on the size of the Safe Deposit Box you choose:
- Small: £200 per year
- Medium: £325 per year
- Large: £475 per year
All prices are inclusive of VAT.
Should I expect any other fees or charges when hiring a Lloyds Bank Safe Deposit Box? expandable section
There is one simple, yearly fee for hiring a Safe Deposit Box. This cost depends on the size you choose.
There are only a few other instances where you may be charged additional costs. For example, if we’re required to drill into the Safe Deposit Box lock, because you’ve lost the keys or you don’t return both keys to us at the end of the hire period. Have a look at our full Ts&Cs (PDF, 161KB) for more information.
Our Safe Deposit Boxes come in three different sizes:
- Small: 24x37x4.9cm
- Medium: 24x37x11.8cm
- Large: 24x37x18.6cm