Property Owner Liability Cover

Property Owner Employers' Liability

What is Property Owners' Liability?

The Property Owners’ Liability Insurance protects landlords and property owners in respect of claims made against them in respect of their legal liability for personal injury or property damage suffered by third parties and arising from the policyholder’s ownership of the property.

Why do I need it?

As a property owner you have a legal responsibility to ensure that your property is well maintained and does not present unnecessary risks of injury or property damage to either tenants, visitors to the premises or members of the public outside the building. For example if a third party, such as a postman or delivery person, were to trip on your path due to a loose paving slab, you could be held liable for compensation.

What level of cover do I need for Property Owners’ Liability Insurance?

Each landlord policy will have a limit of indemnity. This is the maximum amount that the insurance company will pay in respect of any one claim. Generally policies will include legal costs associated with the defence of any claim in addition to this limit, but in some cases the maximum limit payable includes these costs.

It’s your decision, based upon your own circumstances and your assessment of your needs, that determines what limit of indemnity you require under the policy. Common limits are £1m, £2m and £5m, although other limits are available upon request.

What will Property Owners’ Liability Insurance cover me for?

Property Owners’ Liability Insurance will enable you to meet any costs and damages awarded to a member of the public if they suffer an injury following an accident on, or linked to, your premises. This includes costs of hospital treatment and ambulance costs claimed by the NHS.

How do I buy Property Owners’ Liability cover?

Property Owners’ Liability Insurance is an optional cover with Landlord insurance. You can get a Landlord Insurance quote online or speak to specialist insurance advisors on 0345 337 0006Call 0345 337 0006

Keep in mind

  • Online policy is underwritten by RSA Insurance Group PLC.
  • Insurance covers are subject to the individual terms, conditions and exclusions of the insurer providing them. Always review the policy documentation supplied during the quote process to ensure you have the cover you need.

Other insurance covers available for landlords

Choosing the right cover means less stress, upset and hassle for both you and your tenants. Make sure you’re properly protected with landlord insurance.

Other insurance covers available for landlords

Type of cover

What is covered

Type of cover

What is covered

If your property is damaged and has to be repaired or rebuilt due to an insured event such as vandalism or storms.

Type of cover

What is covered

Household items that you have provided for your tenants, such as soft furnishings or appliances, if they are damaged or destroyed by an insured event.

Type of cover

What is covered

Your cash flow is protected if after an insured event such as a flood or fire, your tenants stop paying rent or have to move out. If your tenants do have to move out, the costs of arranging alternative accommodation on their behalf is also covered.

Type of cover

What is covered

Accidental damage to the building and its fixtures and fittings. For example, if you or your tenants accidentally smash a window or drop something and crack a sink. 

Type of cover

What is covered

Damage to your property as a result of a movement in the ground supporting your property.

Type of cover

What is covered

You are protected if an employee is injured or dies as a result of your negligence.

Type of cover

What is covered

Your legal expenses in proceedings, such as contract disputes, debt recovery and evicting squatters.

Type of cover

What is covered

Accidental Damage is not available for contents cover.

Landlord or Home insurance?

What's the difference between landlord and home insurance?

Top 10 tips for Landlords

10 things you need to know about being a landlord.

Get a quote

Get a competitive priced quote from one of the UK’s leading insurers. If you rent between 1 and 5 properties.

Get a landlord insurance quote

*Online policy is underwritten by RSA Insurance Group.

Please check you have all the cover you need by reading the policy documentation carefully (this will be provided during the quote process).

More than 5 properties or need advice?

If you are unsure or the cover you need, or have more than 5 properties or complex requirements, call on:

0345 377 0006Call telephone number 0345 377 0006

(Lines available from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday)

Commercial Landlord Insurance is brought to you by Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited, one of the UK’s biggest insurance brokers. Their specialist advice will help you decide on the cover you need, and they’ll search among their panel of leading insurers to find you that cover at the right price. Cover details may vary based on insurer.

  • Whether you ask for a landlord insurance quote online (1-5 properties), need advice or have complex requirements (6+ properties), you'll need the following details to hand:

    • Details of the property/properties to be insured
    • Any claims you've previously made on the same property/properties
    • Any security protection at the property/properties
    • If you're a business, how many employees you have and what kind of work they do.
  • Standard home insurance won't cover the extra risks you face as a landlord. For example, if a tenant is injured by a falling roof tile at your property or if a flood means your tenants have to move out for a while at your expense.

  • Please check you have all the cover you need by reading the policy documentation carefully (this will be provided during the quoting process).

Retrieve a Quote

Log on to your account to retrieve your quotes.

Request a Callback

Complete our online form if you'd like us to call you back at a suitable time to discuss your Landlord insurance needs.

Contact Directory

Whether you are an existing customer or looking for the right contact.

Important legal information

Lloyds Bank plc. Registered office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales No. 2065. Lloyds Bank plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 119278.

Calls may be monitored or recorded to help us improve our quality of service.

Eligible deposits with us are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). We are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).

Lloyds Bank plc is an introducer to Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited who arrange and administer Lloyds Bank Business Insurance Services and source products from a panel of insurers.