Inside content area, use arrow keys or tab to access content

Latest news - Brexit

You may have heard in the news that in the event of a no deal Brexit, customers who will be driving in the EU after the UK leaves, may be required under EU regulations to obtain a Green Card from their insurer as proof of insurance. We are here to help explain how this can affect you if you are driving in the EU or EEA after this date.

How can a no-deal Brexit affect you when driving in the EU or EEA?

Although nobody knows yet exactly what is going to happen when we leave the EU on the 31st January 2020, there’s one thing we do know; after this date, you may need to show a Green Card as proof your car is insured, if:

  • you are driving a UK registered vehicle in the EU or EEA (which includes driving in the Republic of Ireland)

  • the European Commission decides that UK registered vehicles DO NEED to prove valid car insurance in the event of a no-deal Brexit

You may also need to show a separate, additional Green Card if you will be towing a trailer or caravan.

If you are driving in the EU or EEA without a Green Card, you may be breaking the law.

How to get a Green Card?

If we provide car insurance for you then here’s what you need to know about getting a Green Card:

  • You will need to call us on 0344 209 0476 21 days before driving in the EU (even if you drove into the EU before 31st January 2020) to discuss your travel plans and get a Green Card sent to you in time

  • Currently, we do not charge our customers for sending them a Green Card

  • It takes 5 working days to process a Green Card request and will be sent in the post so please give time for this

Please keep an eye on these websites for further updates on any changes to Green Card requirements: