Inside content area, use arrow keys or tab to access content

Landlord Legal Expense Cover

Property owner legal expense cover

Why do landlords need legal expenses cover?

Landlord legal expenses insurance is an optional cover that you can add to your landlord policy. It can provide protection to cover legal costs related to issues with your rental property, including legal action and court proceedings. For example, if a tenant has damaged your property, if you need to evict your tenants, or if you need to pursue unpaid rent. It can also cover your defence costs if someone claims that you’ve breached your legal obligations to your tenants.

What is legal expenses insurance?

This provides cover for legal costs when taking someone to court for non-payment or equally when someone takes you to court. It covers such things as contract disputes, legal defence, debt recovery and eviction of squatters.

When would I need to claim?

There are many reasons why you might incur legal costs, for example your tenants stop paying rent and you’re forced to serve them with a notice seeking possession. You then begin court proceedings to get a possession order.

What isn’t covered?

Any rent lost following an incident, such as a flood, where the tenant is unable to stay in the property. For this you would need loss of rent cover.

How do I get landlord legal expenses cover?

Landlord legal expenses insurance is an optional cover with landlord insurance. You can get a landlord Insurance quote online or speak to specialist insurance advisers on 0345 337 0006

Keep in mind

  • Online policy is underwritten by RSA Insurance Group PLC.
  • Insurance covers are subject to the individual terms, conditions and exclusions of the insurer providing them. Always review the policy documentation supplied during the quote process to ensure you have the cover you need.

Other insurance covers available for landlords

Choosing the right cover means less stress, upset and hassle for both you and your tenants. Make sure you’re properly protected with landlord insurance.

Type of cover What is covered
Buildings If your property is damaged and has to be repaired or rebuilt due to an insured event such as vandalism or storms.
Landlord’s Contents Household items that you have provided for your tenants, such as soft furnishings or appliances, if they are damaged or destroyed by an insured event.
Loss of Rent Your cash flow is protected if after an insured event such as a flood or fire, your tenants stop paying rent or have to move out. If your tenants do have to move out, the costs of arranging alternative accommodation on their behalf is also covered.
Accidental Damage Accidental damage to the building and its fixtures and fittings. For example, if you or your tenants accidentally smash a window or drop something and crack a sink. 
Subsidence, Landslip and Heave Damage to your property as a result of a movement in the ground supporting your property.
Property Owner’s Liability You are protected if a person is injured or if there is damage to their property as a result of your negligence.
Employers’ liability cover You are protected if an employee is injured or dies as a result of your negligence.

Accidental Damage is not available for contents cover.

House icon

Landlord or Home insurance?

What's the difference between landlord and home insurance?

Read our guideon landlord or home insurance

Person icon

Top 10 tips for Landlords

10 things you need to know about being a landlord.

Learn moreon tips for landlords

Get a quote

Get a competitive priced quote from one of the UK’s leading insurers. If you rent between 1 and 5 properties.

Get a landlord insurance quote

*Online policy is underwritten by RSA Insurance Group.

Please check you have all the cover you need by reading the policy documentation carefully (this will be provided during the quote process).

More than 5 properties or need advice?

If you are unsure or the cover you need, or have more than 5 properties or complex requirements, call on:

0345 377 0006Call telephone number 0345 377 0006

(Lines available from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday)

Commercial Landlord Insurance is brought to you by Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited, one of the UK’s biggest insurance brokers. Their specialist advice will help you decide on the cover you need, and they’ll search among their panel of leading insurers to find you that cover at the right price. Cover details may vary based on insurer.

Whether you ask for a Landlord insurance quote online (1-5 properties), need advice or have complex requirements (6+ properties), you’ll need the following details to hand:

  • Details of the property/properties to be insured.
  • Any claims you’ve previously made on the same property/properties.
  • Any security protection at the property/properties.
  • If you’re a business, how many employees you have and what kind of work they do.

Standard home insurance won’t cover the extra risks you face as a landlord. For example, if a tenant is injured by falling roof tile at your property or a flood means they have to move out for a while at your expense.

Please check you have all the cover you need by reading the policy documentation carefully (this will be provided during the quoting process).

Retrieve a Quote

Log on to your account to retrieve your quotes.

Retrieve a Quote

Request a Callback

Complete our online form if you'd like us to call you back at a suitable time to discuss your Landlord insurance needs.

Request a callback

Contact Directory

Whether you are an existing customer or looking for the right contact.

Contact Directory