We are experiencing a high number of calls at the moment. So that we can support those in the most vulnerable situations, please only call if it is urgent. Remember, you can do most of your banking tasks yourself online, either using our app or through Internet Banking


Landlord Employers' Liability Cover

Property Owner Employers' Liability

Why do landlords need Employers’ Liability?

If you have employees, contractors, casual workers or temporary staff, you’re usually required by law to take out Employers’ Liability cover, to deal with any claims from employees who’ve been injured or become seriously ill as a result of working for you.
As a landlord this could mean cleaners, handymen, clerical staff or gardeners. Even if they are on short-term contracts, you'll usually be required to have Employers’ Liability insurance.

What is Employers’ Liability insurance?

Employers’ Liability insurance protects you against the cost of compensation claims arising from employee illness or injury, sustained as a result of their work for you. It is a legal requirement if your business employs one or more people, with fines of up to £2,500 for every day that appropriate cover is not in place.

The Employers' Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969 (ELCA) makes it obligatory for employers to have Employers' Liability insurance. You can download a full guide to the ELCA here. This guide includes details of what counts as an 'employee' and organisations that are exempt from the ELCA. - for example, health service bodies and some family businesses.

Do I need Employers’ Liability cover for family members?

Immediate members of your family who work for you don’t count as employees for insurance purposes, this does not apply to family businesses which are incorporated as limited companies.

Do I need Employers’ Liability insurance if I don’t have any employees?

If you don’t have any employees you don’t need Employers’ Liability insurance (unless a contract explicitly requires it). However, make sure you fully understand how ‘employee’ is defined for the purposes of the legislation. If your company has more than one director or if you employ a certain type of subcontractor, you may be required to have Employers’ Liability insurance.

If you’re not sure if you need Employers’ Liability insurance, check the legislation or seek professional advice.

How do I get Landlord Employers’ Liability cover?

Landlord Employers’ Liability insurance is an optional cover with landlord insurance. You can get a landlord insurance quote online or speak to specialist insurance advisors on 0345 337 0006

Keep in mind

  • Online policy is underwritten by RSA Insurance Group PLC.
  • Insurance covers are subject to the individual terms, conditions and exclusions of the insurer providing them. Always review the policy documentation supplied during the quote process to ensure you have the cover you need.

Other insurance covers available for landlords

Choosing the right cover means less stress, upset and hassle for both you and your tenants. Make sure you’re properly protected with landlord insurance.

Other insurance covers available for landlords

Type of cover

What is covered

Type of cover

What is covered

If your property is damaged and has to be repaired or rebuilt due to an insured event such as vandalism or storms.

Type of cover

What is covered

Household items that you have provided for your tenants, such as soft furnishings or appliances, if they are damaged or destroyed by an insured event.

Type of cover

What is covered

Your cash flow is protected if, after an insured event such as a flood or fire, your tenants stop paying rent or have to move out. If your tenants do have to move out, the costs of arranging alternative accommodation on their behalf is also covered.

Type of cover

What is covered

Accidental damage to the building and its fixtures and fittings. For example, if you or your tenants accidentally smash a window or drop something and crack a sink. 

Type of cover

What is covered

Damage to your property as a result of a movement in the ground supporting your property.

Type of cover

What is covered

You are protected if a person is injured or if there is damage to their property as a result of your negligence.

Type of cover

What is covered

Your legal expenses in proceedings such as contract disputes, debt recovery and evicting squatters.

Accidental Damage is not available for contents cover.

Landlord or Home insurance?

What's the difference between landlord and home insurance?

Top 10 tips for Landlords

10 things you need to know about being a landlord.

Get a quote

Get a competitive priced quote from one of the UK’s leading insurers. If you rent between 1 and 5 properties.

Get a landlord insurance quote

*Online policy is underwritten by RSA Insurance Group.

Please check you have all the cover you need by reading the policy documentation carefully (this will be provided during the quote process).

More than 5 properties or need advice?

If you are unsure of the cover you need, or have more than 5 properties or complex requirements, call on:

0345 377 0006

(Lines available from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday)

Commercial Landlord Insurance is brought to you by Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited, one of the UK’s biggest insurance brokers. Their specialist advice will help you decide on the cover you need, and they’ll search among their panel of leading insurers to find you that cover at the right price. Cover details may vary based on insurer.

  • Whether you ask for a landlord insurance quote online (1-5 properties), need advice or have complex requirements (6+ properties), you'll need the following details to hand:

    • Details of the property/properties to be insured
    • Any claims you've previously made on the same property/properties
    • Any security protection at the property/properties
    • If you're a business, how many employees you have and what kind of work they do.
  • Standard home insurance won't cover the extra risks you face as a landlord. For example, if a tenant is injured by a falling roof tile at your property or if a flood means your tenants have to move out for a while at your expense.

  • Please check you have all the cover you need by reading the policy documentation carefully (this will be provided during the quoting process).

Retrieve a Quote

Log on to your account to retrieve your quotes.

Request a Callback

Complete our online form if you'd like us to call you back at a suitable time to discuss your Landlord insurance needs.

Contact Directory

Whether you are an existing customer or looking for the right contact.

Important legal information

Lloyds Bank plc. Registered office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales No. 2065. Lloyds Bank plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 119278.

Eligible deposits with us are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). We are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).

Telephone calls may be monitored or recorded in case we need to check we have carried out your instructions correctly and to help us improve our quality of service.

Lloyds Bank plc is an introducer to Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited who arrange and administer Lloyds Bank Business Insurance Services and source products from a panel of insurers.