Inside content area, use arrow keys or tab to access content

Landlord's Contents Cover

What's covered?

Landlords' contents cover provides protection for certain appliances such as white goods, furniture and furnishings, belonging to you, but for the use of your tenants. It will cover the cost of replacing or repairing the items.

So are my tenant's contents covered?

The simple answer is no. As a landlord it's not your responsibility to insure your tenant's belongings, but it’s good to let them know they’ll need to get their own cover.

When should I claim?

If any furniture, carpets, furnishings and other contents for which you are responsible within the tenanted portions of your property become lost or damaged through fire, flood or theft then you should call your insurer. Remember that you’re not covered for damage caused by gradual wear and tear.

Keep in Mind

  • Online policy is underwritten by RSA Insurance Group PLC.
  • Insurance covers are subject to the individual terms, conditions and exclusions of the insurer providing them. Always review the policy documentation supplied during the quote process to ensure you have the cover you need.

Other insurance covers available for landlords

Type of cover What is covered
Accidental Damage Accidental damage to the building and its fixtures and fittings. For example, if you or your tenants accidentally smash a window or drop something and crack a sink.
Buildings If your property is damaged and has to be repaired or rebuilt due to an insured event such as vandalism or storms.
Loss of Rent Your cash flow is protected if, after an insured event such as flood or fire, your tenants stop paying rent or have to move out. If your tenants do have to move out, the costs of arranging alternative accommodation on their behalf is also covered.
Subsidence, Landslip and Heave Damage to your property as a result of a movement in the ground supporting your property.
Property Owner’s Liability You are protected if a person is injured or if there is damage to their property as a result of your negligence.
Employers' Liability cover You are protected if an employee is injured or dies as a result of your negligence.
Legal Expenses Your legal expenses in proceedings such as contract disputes, debt recovery and evicting squatters.
House icon

Landlord or Home insurance?

What's the difference between landlord and home insurance?

Read our guideon landlord or home insurance

Person icon

Top 10 tips for Landlords

10 things you need to know about being a landlord.

Learn moreon tips for landlords

Get a quote online

Get a Landlords Insurance quote from one of the UK’s leading insurers, if you rent between 1 and 5 properties.

Get a quote online*

*Online policy is underwritten by RSA Insurance Group.

Please check you have all the cover you need by reading the policy documentation carefully (this will be provided during the quoting process).

More than 5 properties or need advice?

If you are unsure of the cover you need, or have more than 5 properties or complex requirements, call on:

0345 377 0006Call telephone number 0345 377 0006

(Lines available from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday)

Commercial Landlord Insurance is brought to you by Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited, one of the UK’s biggest insurance brokers. Their specialist advice will help you decide on the cover you need, and they’ll search among their panel of leading insurers to find you that cover at the right price. Cover details may vary based on insurer.

Information you'll need to provide

Whether you ask for a landlord insurance quote online (1-5 properties), need advice or have complex requirements (6+ properties), you'll need the following details to hand:

  • Details of the property/properties to be insured
  • Any claims you've previously made on the same property/properties
  • Any security protection at the property/properties
  • If you're a business, how many employees you have and what kind of work they do.

Keep in mind

Standard home insurance won't cover the extra risks you face as a landlord. For example, if a tenant is injured by a falling roof tile at your property or if a flood means your tenants have to move out for a while at your expense.

The small print

Please check you have all the cover you need by reading the policy documentation carefully (this will be provided during the quoting process).

Retrieve a Quote

Log on to your account to retrieve your quotes.

Retrieve a Quote

Request a Callback

Complete our online form if you'd like us to call you back at a suitable time to discuss your Landlord insurance needs.

Request a callback

Contact Directory

Whether you are an existing customer or looking for the right contact.

Contact Directory