Inside content area, use arrow keys or tab to access content

Subsidence, landslip and heave cover

So what is subsidence and how does it affect my property/properties?

Subsidence is the downward movement of the site on which a building stands – where the movement is unconnected with the weight of the building. Simply put, the soil beneath the building’s foundations is unstable.

This differs from 'settlement' which can also result in the movement of a building. With 'settlement', the building sinks into the site on which it stands and can be a sign of inadequate design or construction. With subsidence, the downward movement of the site would have occurred without the weight of the building.

What's the difference between subsidence and heave?

Heave is the opposite of subsidence and a much rarer occurrence. Basically heave is when the site on which the building stands moves upwards.

What is landslip?

Landslip is the movement of ground down the side of a mountain or cliff.

When would I need this cover?

If you suspect your property has suffered from any of the above, contact your insurance provider as soon as possible. If the damage is minor and the movement of your property has stopped, then repairs can usually be carried out straight away.

If damage is more serious, then it may take some time to monitor the movement of your property over a period of time and for a long term solution to be agreed upon.

During this time you could possibly experience loss of rental income and may even have to find alternative accommodation for your tenants.

Having the correct landlord insurance in place will help make this worrying time a little less distressing.

Keep in Mind

  • Online policy is underwritten by RSA Insurance Group PLC.
  • Insurance covers are subject to the individual terms, conditions and exclusions of the insurer providing them. Always review the policy documentation supplied during the quote process to ensure you have the cover you need.

Other insurance covers available for landlords

Type of cover What is covered
Buildings If your property is damaged and has to be repaired or rebuilt due to an insured event such as vandalism or storms.
Landlord's Contents Household items that you have provided for your tenants, such as soft furnishings or appliances, if they are damaged or destroyed by an insured event.
Loss of Rent
Your cash flow is protected if, after an insured event such as flood or fire, your tenants stop paying rent or have to move out. If your tenants do have to move out, the costs of arranging alternative accommodation on their behalf is also covered.
Accidental Damage Accidental damage to the building and its fixtures and fittings. For example, if you or your tenants accidentally smash a window or drop something and crack a sink.
Property Owner’s Liability You are protected if a person is injured or if there is damage to their property as a result of your negligence.
Employers' Liability cover You are protected if an employee is injured or dies as a result of your negligence.
Legal Expenses Your legal expenses in proceedings such as contract disputes, debt recovery and evicting squatters.
House icon

Landlord or Home insurance?

What's the difference between landlord and home insurance?

Read our guideon landlord or home insurance

Person icon

Top 10 tips for Landlords

10 things you need to know about being a landlord.

Learn moreon tips for landlords

Get a quote online

Get a Landlords Insurance quote from one of the UK’s leading insurers, if you rent between 1 and 5 properties.

Get a quote online*

*Online policy is underwritten by RSA Insurance Group.

Please check you have all the cover you need by reading the policy documentation carefully (this will be provided during the quoting process).

More than 5 properties or need advice?

If you are unsure of the cover you need, or have more than 5 properties or complex requirements, call on:

0345 377 0006Call telephone number 0345 377 0006

(Lines available from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday)

Commercial Landlord Insurance is brought to you by Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited, one of the UK’s biggest insurance brokers. Their specialist advice will help you decide on the cover you need, and they’ll search among their panel of leading insurers to find you that cover at the right price. Cover details may vary based on insurer.

Information you'll need to provide

Whether you ask for a landlord insurance quote online (1-5 properties), need advice or have complex requirements (6+ properties), you'll need the following details to hand:

  • Details of the property/properties to be insured
  • Any claims you've previously made on the same property/properties
  • Any security protection at the property/properties
  • If you're a business, how many employees you have and what kind of work they do.

Keep in mind

Standard home insurance won't cover the extra risks you face as a landlord. For example, if a tenant is injured by a falling roof tile at your property or if a flood means your tenants have to move out for a while at your expense.

The small print

Please check you have all the cover you need by reading the policy documentation carefully (this will be provided during the quoting process).

Retrieve a Quote

Log on to your account to retrieve your quotes.

Retrieve a Quote

Request a Callback

Complete our online form if you'd like us to call you back at a suitable time to discuss your Landlord insurance needs.

Request a callback

Contact Directory

Whether you are an existing customer or looking for the right contact.

Contact Directory