Van Insurance - Information on Green Cards

Get the latest information on the driving in the European Union post Brexit. Find out more about Green Cards or the International Motor Insurance Card as it’s sometimes known.

Do I need a Green Card to drive my van in the EU / EEA? 

On 30th June 2021, the EU / EEA Commission announced their decision to waive the need to travel with a Green Card (or International Motor Insurance Card).

From the 2nd August 2021 onwards you will no longer need apply or provide proof of a Green Card. This applies to vehicles, towed caravans and trailers when driving in the EU and the EEA states. 

This means you don’t need a Green Card for driving in the following countries: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

You may need a Green Card for driving in the following countries: Albania, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Iran, Israel, Moldova, Morocco, Russia, Tunisia, Turkey and Ukraine. 


Driving your van in the EU / EEA states post Brexit  

Cover in these countries is subject to agreement from your insurer and an additional premium may apply in accordance with the terms of your policy

If you are travelling to the countries shown above where a Green Card may be required – you will need to contact us 21 days before you are travelling. We will send a Green Card to you if your insurer agrees to the cover and any additional premium has been paid if required. 

You will need to take a copy of your Certificate of Insurance, your driving licence and V5C log book with you and display a UK sticker on your vehicle. You may also need an International Driving Permit to drive in some EU/EEA countries.

If you intend to tow a trailer with your vehicle, depending on the type of trailer you have, you may also need to register your trailer before you travel.


New or renewed van insurance policies after May 2021

If you took out a new van insurance policy or renewed a policy after May 2021, ‘Section 9 Driving Abroad’ in your terms and conditions will still contain information concerning the previous EU ruling. The section advised that Green Cards were required in all circumstances. Your policy documents will not be re-issued in the short term. However, if you choose to renew your policy with us at your next renewal, this section will be updated.  


Getting in touch

Existing van insurance customers can request a Green Card from us to drive in the EU or EEA states. Please call us 21 days prior to travelling and we will arrange for the Green Card to be sent to your home address.

Call: 0344 871 2358

Lines are open from Monday-Friday 8am-8pm, Saturday 8am-6pm, Sunday and Bank Holidays 10am-4pm.

Important legal information

Lloyds Bank plc. Registered office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales No. 2065. Lloyds Bank plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 119278.

Eligible deposits with us are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). We are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).