Support with gambling - we’re here to help
We know that many things in life can affect the way you manage your finances. We’re always here to support you, especially during uncertain and difficult times.
Gambling can affect anyone and can quickly become out of control. If you have any concerns that gambling is affecting your finances, or that of a family member or friend, we can help with our range of tools and tips.
Online tools to support you
Since a teenager, Josh had enjoyed betting on his favourite football team. At first, the amounts were small but as time went on the stakes became bigger.
Josh started to place multiple large bets and soon he had lost six bets in a row. To try and win some money back he bet his whole month’s salary on one game. He lost again.
With little money in his account, Josh didn’t have enough to see him through to his next payday. He felt down and alone. With his rent and household bills due, Josh decided to contact his bank.
Tips to help support you
Are you in a similar situation to Josh, or do you know someone who is?
Whether you’re having problems yourself or know someone who is, we have three tips which could help make a difference:
Keep track of your spending
- Keep track of your bills and spending by using Internet Banking. It’s safe, easy to use, and helps you to see the bigger picture of your finances.
- TalkBanStop is an effective solution too. It offers a combination of personal support via GamCare’s trained advisers, free access to Gamban blocking software and signposting to the GAMSTOP self-exclusion scheme.
- Freeze your gambling payments, it instantly blocks payments to gambling retailers and takes 48 hours to unfreeze your card.
How to talk about getting gambling support
- You might find it easier to speak to friends and family first. They may be able to help you decide your next step towards getting back in control.
- If you think things are getting unmanageable, get in touch with us immediately. We will go through all of the options to help you get back on track. Visit a branch or call us on 0345 300 0000 (7am - 11pm).
If you would prefer not to speak to someone directly, you can use the secure messaging or webchat facilities on our app and website
Specialist gambling support
The National Gambling Treatment Service (NGTS) provide safe and effective treatment for gambling problems. It’s free at the point of delivery. The NGTS is organised by GambleAware. Treatment and support are provided by a network of NHS and voluntary organisations in England, Scotland and Wales.
Self-exclusion is available through GambleAware. It allows you to limit your access to a number of gambling websites.
Treatment varies, and the NGTS work with other agencies to identify and treat any other conditions, such as mental health challenges. Their Freephone number is 0808 8020 133. If you feel you’re not yet ready to talk to someone, they also offer a range of helpful support on their GamCare website.
If you use Social Media you can make changes to control your experience. The Gambling Commissions Twitter Consumer guide (PDF) shows how you can control your Twitter experience and limit gambling-related content.
They also offer alternative resources such as a Live Chat, and hearing impairment and language interpretation services Get support here.
Important legal information
Lloyds Bank plc. Registered office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales No. 2065. Lloyds Bank plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 119278.
We may monitor or record telephone calls to check out your instructions correctly and to help us improve the quality of our service. Calls from abroad are charged according to the telephone service provider’s published tariff. Not all Telephone Banking services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please speak to an adviser for more information.