If you’re a landlord with property to rent out, it’s important to look after your investment.

Use our simple guide to help you find out the key insurance covers a landlord needs.

Protect your property

Your property is your investment and your income, so you need insurance to protect you if something serious happens.

Landlord buildings insurance can cover costs to rebuild or repair the structure of your rental property – such as walls, floors, roof, fixtures and fittings - if it’s damaged or destroyed by events like fire, storm, flood or vandalism.

If you have a mortgage on the property, your lender may require you to hold buildings insurance as part of the contract.

Cover your contents

Your tenants should have contents insurance for their own belongings, but if you are renting out your property fully or partly furnished then you will need landlords contents cover to protect your items if they are damaged, destroyed or stolen.

Landlord contents insurance provides cover for the furniture, carpets and furnishings and domestic white goods that you have provided as part of the contract.

Standard home insurance policies are unlikely to cover your contents if you rent out your property, so always check you have the right cover.

Injuries and accidents on your property

Slips, trips and accidents can happen anywhere and if a tenant or visitor is injured on your property they could sue you for damages.

If you are found to be at fault because your property was not fully maintained you could be left with legal costs and compensation. Property Owners Liability cover will help cover these expenses.

Loss of rent

It’s a good idea to choose a landlord insurance policy that covers for loss of rent.

This will cover your lost rental income if your tenants can’t stay at your property after an insured event such as damage from a flood.

Some policies also cover the cost of alternative accommodation for your tenants if they have to move out of the property.

People working on your property

If you have people working on your property e.g. a handy man, cleaner or gardener, you may need employers’ liability cover.

If someone working for you or on your property is injured and makes a claim, employers' liability will cover legal defence costs.

And if you are guilty of negligence for death or injury it provides cover for compensation claims.

Accidental damage

Accidents can happen in the home. If you or your tenants accidentally smash a window, drop something and crack a sink, put a foot through the ceiling or spill red wine on a carpet, you could be left with a hefty bill.

Accidental damage insurance can cover the cost of repairing or replacing your property or contents if they are broken or damaged.

It won’t cover gradual wear and tear over time, and it also doesn’t cover items belonging to your tenants.

How can Lloyds Bank help protect you

  • A choice of products and covers to suit your needs.
  • Insure multiple properties on the same policy.
  • Access to specialist insurance advisors who will search a panel of insurers to get you the cover you need at the price you want.

Flexible cover online

Get cover for up to 5 residential properties on a single online policy

  • Get a fast, easy quote and cover online
  • Insure up to 5 properties on one landlord policy
  • 50% of customer who bought online paid £215 or less (Jan-Sept 2017)

*Online policy is underwritten by RSA Insurance Group.

Get a quick quote online*

Specialist advice

Best if you need advice from someone and would like competitive quotes from a panel of leading UK insurers.

  • Experts to search the market for you
  • Quotes sourced from a panel of leading insurers
  • Insurance specialists offering support and advice
  • Tailored quotes to get the cover you need

Call: 0345 019 6037

Lines open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday

Insurance arranged by Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited and underwritten by a panel of insurers

Important legal information

Lloyds Bank plc. Registered office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales No. 2065. Lloyds Bank plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 119278.

Eligible deposits with us are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). We are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).

Calls may be monitored or recorded to help us improve our quality of service.

Insurance covers are subject to the individual terms, conditions and exclusions of the insurer providing them. Always review the policy documentation supplied during the quote process to ensure you have the cover you need.