Inside content area, use arrow keys or tab to access content

Where to start?

Our specially trained bereavement advisers in branch will provide face to face help and advice on what to do with your loved one’s accounts, how to pay bills and will talk you through the process.

Step 1 - Arrange to see a bereavement adviser

You can call our dedicated bereavement team on 0800 015 0012 or you can drop in to see a specially-trained adviser in branch.

Ways to notify us

Step 2 - What you will need to bring to the appointment

You will need to bring the following with you to the appointment

  • 2 forms of proof of your identity, one showing your name, one showing your address. For acceptable proof of identity, please refer to our list of acceptable identification page
  • The original death certificate
  • Any passbooks, cards and cheque books to help us protect the accounts
  • Any Grant of Probate*, Letter of Administration

You may also find it useful to bring a written list of questions you might have.

*For accounts, products and services held with us in the sole name of the person who died, we will only need to see the Grant of Probate if the value of the accounts is more than £50,000. You are unlikely to have this when we first meet, but we’ll need to see the original or certified copy when it is available.

Step 3 - What to expect during the appointment

Your appointment will be with an adviser who will ask some questions to help us to fully understand your individual case. Most of the paper work will be completed in branch, however some cases require additional time and expertise to process. For these cases we have dedicated specialist bereavement unit to help.

Step 4 - What will happen to cases passed to the specialist bereavement unit?

The specialist bereavement unit will take ownership of your case and ensure that your individual requirements are fulfilled. They will keep in regular contact with you so you are aware of progress.

Step 5 - Notifying other banks

If accounts were held with other banks and you still need to notify them, you can use the free Death Notification Service.

For more information, visit

You don't need to do this for any accounts held with Lloyds Banking Group as we'll automatically notify all of the following - Lloyds Bank, Halifax, Bank of Scotland, Scottish Widows, Clerical Medical and Birmingham Midshires.

  1. How do I pay urgent expenses?

    We understand that the next few weeks will be difficult, dealing with funeral arrangements and arranging legal paperwork, and you may have some bills that need paying before you can get all the legal documents required for administering the estate.

    You can use the deceased credit balance to pay the following expense before all the legal paperwork is sorted:

    • Funeral expenses – payable to funeral director
    • Inheritance Tax – payable to H.M. Revenue & Customs
    • Probate fees – payable to H.M.Courts service
    • Confirmation fees – payable to The Scottish Court Service.

    We’ll normally send the cheque direct to them, but you can ask us to send it to you.

    If this is the case we may need you to put in writing, who needs to be paid, whether you have or intend to apply for a Grant of Representation/Confirmation and the original invoice.

    If the person who has died held an account with us, then we may be able to help by arranging a cheque payment. If the funds in the accounts are enough to cover all or part of the expenses we’ll arrange a cheque made out to the person or organisation named on the invoice.

    Back to top

  2. Can I take money out of a joint account?

    If you are one of the named account holders then in most cases you will be able to continue withdrawing money in the normal way; we’ll let you know if you can’t. The account will be changed to the surviving account holders name and in most cases this can be completed at the branch. If it is more complicated it will be completed by our specialist bereavement unit.

    Back to top

  3. What happens to standing orders and direct debits?

    We will cancel all payments from a sole named account where the account holder has died; on joint accounts these payments can continue but should be reviewed to make sure they all remain appropriate.

    Back to top

  4. What happens to the mortgage?

    If the mortgage was in the sole name of the person who has died, we will need to speak to the executor/administrator; if it is in joint names then we need to speak to the executor/ administrator and the surviving party to the mortgage (this may be the same person). If the mortgage has already been repaid then we may still hold the property deeds-please ask us to check for you.

    Back to top

  5. What happens to an outstanding personal loan?

    If the loan is protected with insurance then we will let you know how to make a claim. If it is not covered, then the debt will need to be repaid from the estate. If the loan was in joint names the surviving account holder can continue making monthly repayments or pay the loan off in full.

    Back to top

  6. What happens to the credit card?

    If the person who died had an outstanding credit card balance we will pay this off using any banking or saving balances held with us. This will be referred to our Specialist Bereavement Team who will contact you regarding your options. If the credit card is covered by credit card repayment insurance we’ll let you know how to make a claim, and advise you what to do with the cards. Please be aware that if you are a named cardholder on the deceased’s account (an additional cardholder), then once the balance is settled the card will be closed and you will no longer be able to use it.

    Back to top

  7. What about tax-free savings and investments, and accounts registered for gross interest?

    When the account holder dies, the interest earned on all accounts will be taxable.

    Back to top

  8. Do I need to worry about Inheritance tax?

    Depending on the size of the estate and who the beneficiaries are there may be a liability to pay Inheritance Tax.

    For more information, you can speak to our Estate Administration Service on 0800 056 0171. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm, or contact your local tax office directly or visit the HMRC website.

    Back to top

  9. What if there is a Will?

    If the person who has died leaves a Will, the person or people named as executors act as personal representatives of the person who has died and take legal responsibility for carrying out the instructions in the Will, and dealing with the money and property, known as the estate. In Scotland the personal representatives are known as executor-nominate when there is a Will.

    In some instances the executor may be Lloyds Bank, in which case please call our Estate Administration Service on 0800 056 0171. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm.

    Back to top

  10. What if there isn’t a Will?

    If the person who has died didn’t leave a Will this is called intestacy. The law sets out who should inherit the estate. You may need to apply for authority to be the administrator of the estate. The administrators will act as personal representatives of the person who has died and take legal responsibility for the estate. In Scotland the personal representatives are known as executor dative when there isn’t a Will.

    If you would like more information or guidance on administering an estate, please call our Estate Administration Service on 0800 056 0171. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm.

    Back to top


Any property or possession with monetary value.

Administration of an Estate

The steps taken by an Executor to deal with a deceased person’s personal and financial affairs; to establish the extent of assets and liabilities, pay any tax due and distribute money and assets to the correct people.

Applying for Probate

An application for Probate (or Grant of Representation/Letters of Administration – see below) can be made by a lay person (a personal application), or by a solicitors firm, Bank or Trust Corporation on behalf of an Executor or Administrator. If an Estate is sufficiently small, or if all the assets are held in joint names, it is not always necessary to apply for probate, even if there is a Will.

For personal applications, forms and advice can be obtained from whichever District Probate Registry is geographically convenient. For help and guidance including applying for probate / letters of administration / confirmation, please call the Lloyds Bank Estate Administration Support Line on 0800 0560171.


Any person, charity or organisation that is entitled to receive a gift from the Estate.


A separate document altering or adding to the provisions of an existing Will. A Codicil should be stored for safe keeping with the original Will.

Confirmation (Scotland)

The equivalent of the Probate Application process in Scotland.

Coroner’s Interim Certificate

A certificate issued confirming the person who has died, their details and the date of death, but not normally the cause of death. This is because the exact cause of death may not be apparent and an inquest needs to be conducted to establish the facts. A Coroner’s Certificate can be accepted as notification of death but some companies may still need to see either the original or a certified copy of the Death Certificate when it becomes available.

Death Certificate

A certified copy of the entry in the Death Register issued when the cause of death is known or has become established.

Deed of Variation

It’s sometimes possible for all the beneficiaries to effectively ‘rewrite’ the Will by creating a legal document called a Deed of Variation. This can be done to reduce an Inheritance Tax (IHT) liability, or simply to benefit people who would not benefit under the terms of a Will or intestacy. Such a Deed can be made up to two years after the death, but independent legal advice should be sought about whether or not it is prudent to do so and the steps you need to take.


The total sum of all assets (minus any debts) after a person dies.


The person named in a will to carry out the wishes of the person who has died.

An Executor’s or Administrator’s role

An Executor or Administrator is responsible for dealing with the assets and liabilities of the Estate which may include some or more of the following:

  • Registering of the death.
  • Arranging the funeral.
  • Applying for a Grant of Representation.
  • Calculating and paying Inheritance Tax.
  • Informing financial institutions - banks, insurance companies, pension providers, etc.
  • Paying the funeral bill and all other liabilities.
  • Collecting in all the assets, including the sale of a property.
  • Drafting a statement to account for all assets, liabilities and expenses.
  • Paying any income tax due.
  • Distributing the Estate to beneficiaries.
  • Acting as Trustee if appropriate (where for example a beneficiary is a minor).

In Scotland an Administrator or Personal Representative is known as an Executor Dative.

Grant of Probate or Grant of Representation

The document issued by the Supreme Court via a District Probate Registry giving authority to an Executor or an Administrator to collect in a deceased person’s assets and administer their estate.

It will be issued only after they have received the necessary application forms, have assured themselves that the Will is valid (where applicable) and have received confirmation that any Inheritance Tax due has been paid. It is common practice for a grant of representation and the process to apply for one to be referred to simply as probate.

In order to apply for probate, an Executor or Administrator will need to complete application forms for both the Probate Registry and HM Revenue & Customs. For the latter, it will normally be necessary to obtain exact valuations for all assets and liabilities in an Estate.

The process is the same for both an Executor and an Administrator, and the only difference is the type of Grant of Representation. A Grant issued to an Executor is called a Grant of Probate, whilst the Grant issued to an Administrator is called Letters of Administration. Occasionally, an Executor may not be able to act, and in those circumstances Letters of Administration (with Will annexed) will be issued to an Administrator.

Grant of Confirmation

The laws relating to the administration of an Estate where a person was domiciled in Scotland are very different to other parts of the United Kingdom, apart from Inheritance Tax, and the equivalent process to Probate in Scotland is called Confirmation.

Advice and the necessary forms can be obtained from the Sheriff Clerk’s office.

Inheritance Tax (IHT)

Depending on the size of the Estate and who benefits from a Will or intestacy, there may be an Inheritance Tax liability. This liability does not normally need to be paid in full, but a large proportion will need to be paid before a Grant of Representation is obtained.

You can contact HM Revenue & Custom’s Trusts and Estates, Inheritance Office direct for advice on any aspects of calculating and paying this liability.


The term used when the person has died without a Will in place.

Letters of Administration

The document issued by the Supreme Court giving authority to anybody other than an executor to collect in assets and administer an Estate.


Those debts, including funeral expenses, attributable to a deceased person at the date of death. Any costs incurred by an executor during the course of administering the Estate are known as administration expenses. Liabilities reduce any Inheritance Tax liability, but administration expenses do not.

Personal Representatives

Collectively both Executors and Administrators are termed personal representatives.

Registrar of Births, Marriages and Deaths

This is the government department where a death is registered , using the medical certificate of cause of death from a doctor or an acceptable alternative from a Coroner. The registrar issues certified copies of the death certificate, which are the documents you need to legally prove that the death has occurred and which will be needed to notify all those companies where assets were held. It is a good idea to obtain several certified copies of the death certificate as you may need them for various financial institutions (there is a nominal cost for this and it is more cost effective to ask for copies at the time of registration rather than at a later date).

Rules of Intestacy

When a person dies without a Will in place, they are described as dying intestate. The intestacy rules govern who is entitled to benefit from a person’s estate in these circumstances.

Scots Law

The law in Scotland is different to that in England and Wales. The registrar’s role is similar, but deaths are investigated by a Procurator Fiscal and some cases may undergo a fatal accident enquiry in front of a Sheriff. The death certificate can be obtained from a registrar at an early stage for all deaths in Scotland, as a medical certificate is issued irrespective of the causes of death.

Statutory Notices

It is normal practice for notices to be placed in The London Gazette and a newspaper local to where a deceased person died. These advertise for any potential creditors to make their claims known to an estate, and protect the Executors or Administrators should a claim come to light after a specified time – normally two months.


A legal arrangement to hold money or property for someone else, usually a child.


A document which, if validly executed, records the instructions for what should happen to the Estate of the person who has died. It may also contain details of their intended funeral arrangements.

If the person who has died leaves a Will, the person (or persons) named as the Executor takes responsibility for carrying out the terms of that Will, and dealing with a deceased person’s assets and liabilities - known as the Estate. In Scotland an Executor is known as an Executor-Nominate.

If the person who has died has not made a valid Will, this means that they have died intestate. A person (or persons) - known as the Administrator – will be responsible for dealing with the assets and liabilities. In Scotland an administrator personal representatives is known as an executor dative.

opens in a new window.

Probate Registry

For application for powers to process the will in England and Wales:
Tel: 0845 302 0900Call telephone number 0845 302 0900 or visit the Justice Probate service website.

The General Register for Scotland

New Register House, 3 West Register Street, Edinburgh EH1 3YT. Tel: 0131 334 0380Call telephone number 0131 334 0380 or visit: the General Register for Scotland website. .

National Association of Funeral Directors

Members must follow their code of practice. 618 Warwick Road, West Midlands B91 1AA. Tel: 0845 230 1343Call telephone number 0845 230 1343 or visit: the National Association of Funeral Directors website..

The Society of Allied and Independent Funeral Directors

They have a code of practice for members to follow. 3 Bullfields, Sawbridgeworth, Herts CM21 9DB. Tel: 0345 230 6777Call telephone number 0345 230 6777 or visit the SAIF website..

HM Revenue & Customs

For help with tax issues. HMRC Capital Taxes, Ferrers House, PO Box 38, Nottingham NG2 1BB. Tel: 0845 30 20 900Call telephone number 0845 30 20 900 or visit: the HM Revenue & Customs website..

Citizens Advice Bureau

For help on practical and legal matters and contacts for counseling, help and support. Look in your telephone directory for your local office or visit the Citizens Advice Bureau website (England and Wales). in England and Wales, the Citizens Advice Bureau page (Scotland). in Scotland or the Citizens Advice Bureau page (Northern Ireland). in Northern Ireland.

Cruse Bereavement Care

For general information, counselling and support. Tel: 0800 731 4044Call telephone number 0800 731 4044 or visit: the Cruse Bereavement Care website..

The Bereavement Register

You can use this service to remove from databases and mailing lists the names and addresses of people who have died. Tel: 0207 089 6403Call telephone number 0207 089 6403 or visit Visit The Bereavement Register website.

For guidance on what to do after someone dies visit: Visit the website.

For information on reporting a death, wills, probate and inheritance tax visit: Visit the website.

Getting in touch

To arrange to see us in branch you can call us on

0800 015 0012Call telephone number 0800 015 0012

If you are calling from abroad you can call us on

+44 (0)1733 261 630

Lines are open 8am - 8pm, seven days a week.

If Lloyds Bank is named as an executor within the Will, call our Estate Administration Service on 0800 056 0171.

If Lloyds Bank is named as an executor within the Will, call
our Estate Administration Service on 0800 056 0171.Call telephone number +44 (0)1733 261 630

Notify other banks

To notify other banks of the death of someone close to you, you can use the free Death Notification Service, available through Equiniti.

More about the Death Notification Service