Third party access

What is third party access?

Third party access is the term used for allowing another person to administer your accounts on your behalf. There are many reasons why you might need to provide a representative with access to your bank account and the right to operate it, the most common ones are:

  • You’re living abroad
  • You’ve become incapacitated following an accident
  • Ill-health
  • A mental illness has begun, such as dementia

Through no fault of your own, any of these situations could make important everyday things such as paying bills and making financial decisions difficult, even impossible in some cases. This can be a stressful time for everyone concerned, so we will make it as easy and straightforward as possible to register with us.

Types of third party access

  1. Third Party mandate

    A third party mandate is a formal instruction from you to us. It tells us that you’d like another party to have access to your account(s) to carry out everyday banking transactions, withdraw cash only or just to allow disclosure of account information on your banking and/or savings account(s).  This can cover all of your banking and/or savings accounts or just specific ones.

    Back to top

  2. Department for Work and Pensions Appointee

    The DWP can appoint someone (called an appointee) to act on behalf of a person receiving state benefits who cannot manage their benefit-related affairs because they have a physical disability or do not have mental capacity.

    The DWP will issue an appointee with a BF57 form to confirm their appointment.

    An appointee has authority only to manage the other person’s benefit payments. If the appointee needs to manage the persons other finances they will need to seek advice on other options which would be more suitable – such as a Power of Attorney or Deputyship Order.

    Back to top

  3. Management of Residents Finances Certificate

    The Management of Residents Finances Certificate will be drawn up by either the Social Care and Social Work Improvement Scotland or the NHS Trust and provides authorisation for the stated representative (normally a health care official) to withdraw funds from the person account(s) to pay for necessary care.

    Back to top

  4. Deputyship Order (also known as Court of Protection)

    The Court of Protection (in England and Wales) protects the rights of people who do not have mental capacity. When a person who does not have mental capacity has not previously made, or is not capable of making, a power of attorney arrangement (such as a enduring power of attorney or  lasting  power of attorney), the Court of Protection can decide who can handle that person’s affairs. Usually a close friend, family member or someone else who can be trusted applies to the Court of Protection for a court order to appoint a ‘deputy appointment’. The court order will set out what decisions the deputy can make on behalf of the person who does not have mental capacity (for example, it might say that decisions can only be made about that person’s pension or mortgage).

    Back to top

  5. Intromit with Funds (Access to Funds Scheme)

    This is an arrangement that will allow an individual, individuals or an organisation to access the funds belonging to an adult who is no longer capable of accessing their funds to pay for their day-to-day living expenses and any debts due.

    Access To Fund scheme will allow an individual, individuals, or an organisation to:

    • Request information about an adult’s account(s)
    • Open a bank/building society or other account in the sole name of an adult
    • Transfer funds between accounts and close accounts where necessary.

    Back to top

  6. Ordinary Power of Attorney (also known as General Power of Attorney)

    A power of attorney is a legal document whereby one person gives another person or persons, the attorney, the power to act on his or her behalf with regard to his or her property and financial affairs.

    An ordinary power of attorney may be setup for various number of different circumstances, examples are:

    • Going away on holiday for a significant period of time and wants a trusted person to manage their finances
    • Going into hospital and may be unable to deal with their financial affairs for some time
    • Have physical difficulties getting into a branch in person to withdrawal funds or deal with matters face to face
    • May be committed to prison.

    An ordinary power of attorney will end either at a specified time or upon the request of the  customer, the donor at any time. It will automatically be revoked if the donor loses mental capacity or upon their death. There is no requirement for an ordinary power of attorney to be registered with the Office of Public Guardian.

    Back to top

  7. Guardianship Order

    This is an order under the Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000 from the Sheriff Court stating who the Sheriff has appointed to look after the affairs of someone who is not able to look after those affairs for himself or herself. It also details what the appointed person or persons can actually do.

    The order allows whoever has been appointed by the Sheriff (called Guardians), to manage on an ongoing basis the financial or welfare affairs or both, of someone who is unable to deal with those matters.

    Financial Institutes can only accept orders which gives the Guardian control over the adult’s 'Financial or Welfare' or 'Financial only' matters.

    Back to top

  8. Lasting power of attorney (property and financial affairs) – LPA

    A property and financial affairs lasting power of attorney (LPA) enables a person (called the donor) to appoint another person (the attorney) or people to make decisions about their finances and property if they become unable to make these decisions and, in some cases, while the donor still has mental capacity.

    An LPA must be made by the donor. They can choose to give you, the attorney, authority immediately or only when the donor loses the ability to make decisions. The donor can place restrictions on how you can manage the account, and an also include guidance for you in the LPA. You will need to make sure that any restrictions, conditions or guidance do not prevent you from being able to manage the account. Before you can use your authority, the LPA must be registered with the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG).

    Back to top

  9. Intervention Order

    This is an order provided under the Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000 from the Sheriff Court stating who the Sheriff has appointed (the Intervener) to make a particular decision or to take certain action on behalf of someone who is not able to do that for himself or herself. Once that particular decision or certain action has been completed the order will automatically expire.

    Back to top

  10. Enduring power of attorney

    An enduring power of attorney (EPA) is when a person makes a decision, before they become incapacitated, to appoint somebody they trust (the attorney), to look after their finances or property. EPAs can no longer be made as they were replaced by lasting powers of attorney (LPAs) under the Mental Capacity Act 2005. However, if there was an EPA in place before 1 October 2007, it can still apply.

    If the customer (the donor) has mental capacity, you can use the EPA without it having to be registered. However, if you believe the donor has lost or is losing their mental capacity, you can only operate the EPA once it has been registered with the Office of Public Guardian, or if it was registered with the Court of Protection before 1st October 2007.

    Back to top

  11. Local Authority 'suitable person' Managing a Direct Payments

    Local authorities can pay direct payments so people who need health or social care can arrange and pay for that care themselves. A local authority may allow a ‘suitable person’ to manage a direct payment paid for another person’s care. This usually happens if the person the direct payment is for cannot manage their care because they lack mental capacity.

    The local authority can decide who should be the suitable person. This could be an attorney, deputy, Department of Work and Pensions  (DWP) appointee or other person, such as a carer. The suitable person will be the only person who can have access to and manage the direct payment. If an attorney, DWP appointee is not appointed as the suitable person, they cannot get access to and manage the direct payment.

    Back to top

  12. Continuing Power of Attorney (Scotland)

    It is a written document giving someone else authority to take actions or make decisions on your (the granter) behalf.

    The power of attorney Continuous document contains the name of the person(s) whom you want to help you, i.e. the attorney and a list of the individual powers that you want your attorney to have. The powers must be written down individually to make it clear as to what decisions your attorney can make on your behalf. The power of attorney will also include when your attorney is to begin acting for you.

    Back to top

  13. Where can I find more information?

    For further advice and information, contact your local citizens advice,  solicitor or Office of the Public Guardian (Office of Care and Protection in Northern Ireland) and also read our Appointing someone to manage your affairs guide.

    Back to top

How to register for third party access

  1. What you will need to register

    • 2 forms of identification, one showing your name, one showing your address. Please refer to our list of acceptable identification.
    • If you are registering a power of attorney, you will need the original power of attorney document, or a copy certified by a solicitor.

    It may also be useful to make a list of the accounts that will be covered by the power of attorney or other legal document and if you require Internet of Telephone Banking.

    Once we’ve got what we need, we’ll register the documents while you’re in the branch with the support of our specialist team.

    If we’re unable to do this, our specialist team will contact you to confirm when the registration is complete.

    In the mean time, if you need to discuss how we can help while you are waiting for the Power of Attorney to be set up, you can visit us in branch.

    Back to top

  2. Where to register

    To make an appointment at the branch to register the legal documentation; the customer or customer’s representative can call us on 0345 300 0000Call telephone number 0345 300 0000

    The customer or customer’s representative can register to use Telephone banking at the branch interview, provided there are no restrictions. Once the customer’s representative is registered for Telephone Banking with us, they can call us on 0345 300 0071Call telephone number 0345 300 0071

    All orders have to be registered in branch.

    We can open an account for the customer (donor) if they don’t already bank with us.

    Back to top

Important legal information

Lloyds Bank plc Registered Office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales No.2065. Telephone: 020 7626 1500. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. We also subscribe to The Lending Code. Details can be obtained from www.lendingstandardsboard.org.ukVisit the Lending Standards Board website.

Lloyds Bank plc Registered Office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales No. 2065.

Save the Change® is a registered trademark of Lloyds Bank plc

PhoneBank® is a registered trademark of Lloyds Bank plc

Money Manager is provided to help you manage your personal finances and is not intended to provide legal, tax or financial advice. Personal Internet Banking customers only. Terms and conditions apply. Mobile Banking services may be affected by phone signal and functionality. Must be registered for Internet Banking. Terms and conditions apply.