What to do when someone dies

Register the death

The first steps you will need to take are to register the death and get a death certificate.  We will walk you through this.

First steps to take

Let us know

Once you have registered the death, you will be given a death certificate. You will need this to formally notify people. If you don’t yet have this, we can still help you by making the accounts secure so that no money goes out until it should. 

I have a death certificate 

I don't have a death certificate

Contact us

Are you the next of kin, executor or a personal representative? If so, you can call us on 

0800 0150012 
(or +44(0)1733 261630 if you’re abroad). 

Lines are open 8am-8pm, every day. 

You can also use this number if you’d like to book an appointment in branch. 

Bereavement Guide

 We recognise that there is a lot to understand when dealing with a bereavement.

This step-by-step guide will support you through the process.

Bereavement guide (PDF, 605 KB) opens in a new tab

Estate administration services

If Lloyds Bank is the named executor in the Will or if you need support to deal with an estate and would like to find out more about our services, then please call us on 0800 096 8560 (or +44 (0) 1733 286 482 if calling from abroad).

Our initial support and guidance is fee free and without obligation. If you think the service is right for you, we will explain our fees and charges to act as Executor or Administrator in an Estate. Fees and charges for our services are charged to the Estate.​

Estate administration services

Things you need to do

  • There are a few immediate things that you will need to do:

    • Get a medical certificate - Ask their GP or doctor to provide a medical certificate.
    • Register the death - Take the medical certificate to the registrar of births, deaths and marriages. The process varies depending on whether the person died at home, overseas or in a hospital. There are also variations for different parts of the UK. The Government provides a helpful step-by-step guide  to tell you exactly what you need to do and how quickly you need to do it. 
    • Get a death certificate - The registrar will provide you with the death certificate. You can also use a copy of the registrar’s record of death to help deal with money matters. 
    • Find the will - Find out whether they have left a will. It may contain details of their wishes regarding funeral arrangements to be made. If you don’t know where the will is, their accountant or solicitor should be able to help. The will explains what should happen to their estate and names an executor who will be responsible for dealing with their affairs.
    • Arrange the funeral - You could appoint a funeral director to handle things on your behalf or contact the Cemeteries and Crematorium Department of your local council to make arrangements.  


  • If you don’t know where the will is, the accountant or solicitor should be able to help. 

    Wills always have at least one executor, whose details are written in the will. You'll need to tell them what's happened straight away, because there are things they'll need to do. A solicitor can help you with this.

    If there's no will, an administrator needs to be appointed. This process works differently in the different nations of the UK. Look on the government's website for information about this.

    It will help you deal with other companies if you have the following to hand:

    • The will. 
    • National Insurance number. 
    • Bank, building society, savings accounts details and certificates, details of any stocks and shares. 
    • Details of state benefits. 
    • Insurance policy details (including car, health, home, life, etc). 
    • Property deeds, mortgage deeds or rental contracts. 
    • Details of any debts (including credit cards, store cards, loans, etc).

    Are my payments still going to be made?

    It is still important to notify providers that someone has died, even if bills are being paid or will continue to be paid. We can talk to you about this.  

    Once you’ve managed any priority payments, you can begin to consider other financial arrangements, such as mortgages, bank accounts and insurance policies.

    If you are informing organisations by phone, it’s helpful to have account or reference numbers to hand before calling. Most will ask to see a death certificate and guide you through what to do next.


  • If the account holder has money in their account, we can help you arrange payment for a funeral bill and other expenses. 

    Money in their account can be used for:

    • Funeral costs
    • Inheritance tax
    • Probate or confirmation fees
    • Repatriation 
    • Cost of Memorial or Headstone

    Let us know if you would like us to help you with this. 


Useful things to know

  • If you are the next of kin, an executor of the will or the personal representative we will need proof of identity. 

    If you’re visiting the branch and you’re also a customer, please bring your debit card or one form of ID with you.

    If you don’t have an account with us, please bring two forms of ID. At least one will need your address on it.  

    • Valid passport (full and signed). 
    • Northern Ireland Electoral Identity Card. 
    • UK valid photocard full or provisional driving licence. 
    • EEA valid photocard driving licence. 
    • Disabled driver pass. 
    • HMRC assessment or statement. 
    • Recent council tax bill. 
    • Local council rent card or tenancy agreement. 
    • Recent utility bill.


  • Any of the following documents can be used;

    • UK or foreign death certificate. 
    • Interim UK death certificate or coroners’ certificate. 
    • Abbreviated extract of death (Scotland).
    • Grant of representation.
    • Grant of probate (England, Wales, and Northern Ireland).
    • Letters of administration (England, Wales, and Northern Ireland).
    • Certificate/Grant of confirmation (Scotland).


  • Can I take money out of a joint account?

    Yes - if you’re the joint account holder, you can keep using the account as normal. If anything changes with the account, we’ll always let you know. 


    What will happen to standing orders and direct debits?

    If the account is only in the deceased’s name, we’ll stop all payments and send you a full list of what’s been cancelled, so you can contact them if you need to set any up again. 

    If the account is in joint names, we’ll keep all regular payments as they are. You’ll need to contact us if you want to stop any. 


    What will happen with mortgage accounts?

    If the mortgage is held in joint names, the monthly payments will continue.  If the person left on the account needs to change or discuss the monthly payments, speak to one of our Mortgage Advisers.

    If the mortgage was just in the deceased’s name, we’ll cancel any direct debits paying the mortgage. Mortgage payments will remain due. However, we don’t expect you to make them for up to 18 months from the date the person died to allow you time to get probate.

    You can find more information in the Bereavement guide (PDF, 605 KB).


    What will happen with loan accounts?

    If the loan was just in the deceased’s name and they have money in their other accounts, we’ll discuss your options when you get in touch. 

    If the loan was in joint names, the other person named on the loan needs to keep making the monthly repayments. If the loan is covered by insurance, we’ll let you know how to make a claim.


    What will happen with credit cards?

    Additional cardholders named on accounts won’t be able to use their cards anymore.

    If the deceased person owed money on any credit cards, there are several options. Usually, we’ll use any other current or savings account balances they have with us to pay them off. If their cards are covered by repayment insurance, we’ll tell you how to make a claim. If neither of these apply, we’ll get in touch to discuss things further. 


  • Assets - Things someone owns, such as money, investments, property and possessions.

    Beneficiary – A person or organisation that has been left something in a will or trust.

    Estate - The assets (e.g., money, investments, property, personal possessions etc) left by a deceased person.

    Executor - Someone who, named in a will, is responsible for managing the deceased estate.

    Grant of probate - The official court document that confirms the executors' legal authority under a will to deal with an estate.

    Grant of representation - Grant of probate or letters of administration confirming who has the legal authority to deal with an estate.

    Intestate - The term used when the person has died without a will being made.

    Letters of administration - This lets a named person deal with the deceased's estate if there isn't an executor.

    Liabilities - Any debt the deceased has, or any costs an executor has to pay, while handling the estate.

    Personal representatives - As a group, executors and administrators are called personal representatives.

    Probate - The process through which the executors or administrators of a deceased person's estate get the court's permission to deal with it.

    Trust – A trust allows assets to pass to someone while you are alive or under the terms of a will. Rather than being received outright, the assets are received with restrictions so can only be used in the way that has been prescribed.

    Will - A witnessed written legal document setting out how a person wishes their estate to be distributed on death.


  • Once we’ve received the death documentation, we will close the account. Any funds held in the account will be transferred to the legal representative or executor. We will usually be in contact within 5 working days.

    We will make funds available if the representative needs to pay probate fees, funeral expenses or inheritance tax. If anything else is needed, a colleague from our Bereavement team will contact the representative to discuss.


  • Citizens Advice

    Visit: citizensadvice.org.uk (opens in a new window)

    Grief Encounter

    Visit: griefencounter.org.uk (opens in a new window)

    Cruse Bereavement Care

    Call: 0808 808 1677 

    Visit: cruse.org.uk (opens in a new window)

    Probate England and Wales

    Call: 0300 303 0648

    Visit: gov.uk/applying-for-probate (opens in a new window)

    Probate Scotland

    Call: 0131 334 0380

    Visit: mygov.scot/confirmation/ (opens in a new window)

    The Bereavement Register

    Call: 0207 089 6403

    Visit: thebereavementregister.co.uk/ (opens in a new window)

    Help with what to do after someone dies 

    Visit: gov.uk/after-a-death (opens in a new window)

    Information on reporting a death, wills, probate, or inheritance tax 

    Visit: gov.uk/browse/births-deaths-marriages/death (opens in a new window)

    Tell us Once

    Visit: What to do after someone dies: Tell Us Once - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) (opens in a new window)

    Death Notification Service

    Visit: https://www.deathnotificationservice.co.uk/ (opens in a new window)


Closing accounts

We can take care of it all if you are closing accounts with;

  • Lloyds
  • Bank of Scotland
  • Halifax
  • MBNA
  • Clerical Medical
  • Birmingham Midshires
  • Intelligent Finance (IF)
  • Scottish Widows  Scottish Widows (PDF, 185KB)

There are a few companies that are part of Lloyds Banking Group you’ll still need to tell separately:

Share dealing

If you are looking after an investment account we can provide additional help and practical support on our investments page. 

Investment bereavement support

Alternatively, please call us on 0800 015 0081 to speak to an advisor.

Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am–6pm


You can also use the free Death Notification Service to let other organisations know the account holder has passed away.  

The government’s Tell Us Once service will contact relevant government services, including HMRC, for you.

We may ask you to provide further information to help move things along. If prompted, please complete our Bereavement Form (PDF, 82 KB)

Bereavement register

This service can reduce the amount of marketing mail being received. Registering the name and address of the deceased will remove their details from mailing lists and will stop most advertising mail within six weeks. Follow the link below to visit their website (you will leave the Lloyds Bank website).

You can also call them on 0207 089 6403

Visit Bereavement Register

Eligible deposits with us are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). We are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).

Calls may be monitored or recorded to help us improve our quality of service.