Using debit cards outside the UK
Benefits of using your debit card outside the UK
- If you're going outside the UK you can withdraw cash and pay for things with your Lloyds Bank Visa debit card wherever you see the Visa symbol – just the same as you do at home.
- It's a more convenient and safer way than carrying cash.
- Pay for hotels, sightseeing, shopping and eating out – your Lloyds Bank Visa debit card is accepted all over the world.
- Flexible – get extra spending money from cash machines when you’re outside the UK.
Our helpline is open 7am - 11pm, seven days a week, but keep in mind calls from abroad are charged according to the telephone service provider’s published tariff.
Find out about the costs of using your cards outside the UK.Back to top
Costs for using debit cards outside the UK
Transactions outside the UK
Withdrawing cash in a currency other than pounds, or withdrawing pounds outside the UK, (at a cash machine or over the counter)
If you use your debit card to withdraw cash in a currency other than pounds, or to withdraw cash in pounds outside the UK, the amount is converted to pounds on the day it is processed by Visa using the Visa Payment Scheme exchange rate. We will charge you a foreign currency transaction fee of 2.99% of the amount of the transaction, this is a fee for currency conversion. We will also charge you a foreign currency cash fee of £1.50 for each withdrawal, except for withdrawals of Euro inside the EEA where you will not be charged a foreign currency cash fee.
Where you elect to allow the cash machine operator/financial service provider to make the conversion to sterling for you, we will only charge a foreign cash fee of £1.50 for each withdrawal, except for withdrawals of Euro inside the EEA where you will not be charged a foreign cash fee. The provider of the foreign currency may make a separate charge for conversion.
Transactions outside the UK
Buying goods or services in a currency other than pounds
If you use your debit card to make a purchase in a currency other than pounds, the amount is converted to pounds on the day it is processed by Visa using the Visa Payment Scheme exchange rate. We will charge you a foreign currency transaction fee of 2.99% of the amount of the transaction, this is a fee for currency conversion. We will also charge you a foreign currency purchase fee of £0.50 for each payment, except for payments of Euro inside the EEA where you will not be charged a foreign currency purchase fee. The foreign currency purchase fee does not apply to Platinum or Premier or Mayfair current accounts for individuals and for business clients, Private Banking (excluding Private Banking Current Account) debit card holders.
Keep in mind other charges apply, so please see the banking charges guide for detailsBack to top
Before you go outside the UK
You no longer have to tell us when you are travelling abroad. Our fraud and security systems are always on the lookout for suspicious activity on your accounts meaning you can relax when you are away making going abroad stress free.
- Check fees outside the UK
- Ensure your cards do not expire when you are away. Please check your expiry date.
- Take another form of payment in case of emergency.
- Ensure your contact details are up to date so we can contact you if we are concerned there may be fraudulent activity on your account - update here.
- Take note of our overseas number to call in an emergency: +44 1733 347 007.
Have an enjoyable trip!Back to top
Once you're outside the UK
Once you're outside the UK, you can use your Lloyds Bank Visa debit card in the same way you do at home. Whether you’re paying for a hotel, a meal, or buying petrol from a garage or a supermarket, you’ll have the same security and peace of mind.
- You can withdraw cash from cash machines or over the counter at any bank displaying the Visa symbol. You can withdraw money up to your limit in sterling, as long as you have the cleared funds available in your account.
- When you pay by Visa debit card you’re protected against fraud for any unauthorised spending.
- It may be a good idea to make card payments in local currency and avoid paying the local currency conversion charges.
If you're withdrawing money from over the counter, you'll need to know your PIN and have a form of ID with you – a valid passport will do.
If you’ve forgotten your PIN you can now use the mobile banking app to get an instant reminder of it.Back to top
Looking for a different travel service?
We offer many ways to help you have a trouble-free trip abroad, so take a look at all we have to offer.Back to top
Important legal information
Lloyds Bank plc. Registered office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales No. 2065. Lloyds Bank plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 119278.
Eligible deposits with us are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). We are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
Calls may be monitored or recorded to help us improve our quality of service.