Create a budget
Where is your money going? Find out and you can see where you can make cutbacks and move more money to your savings. You could try our budgeting tool.
Give yourself targets for the most you want to spend in different areas such as transport, food, rent, bills and entertainment.
Set up a standing order to move money to your savings account as soon as you get paid. And don't forget, if your income increases, increase the amount you save.
More savings tips
- Try set aside at least three months' salary in case of difficulties.
- Separate your savings into different accounts. You can rename our savings accounts on Internet Banking.
- Look for better deals on your energy, home insurance and car insurance on comparison websites.
- Start long-term savings as soon as you can. Speak to your employer about possible pension schemes to join.
- If you get some unexpected money, think about putting some of it into your savings.