5 tips for managing your credit card
Paying for goods or services with a card is pretty familiar to most people. Using a credit card gives you the option to spread the cost of large or unexpected purchases, or just to manage your everyday spending.
Just remember, you may need your credit card PIN to complete a transaction.
Contactless is an easy and secure way to make card payments of up to £100, usually without entering your PIN. This is available at a growing number of retailers and service providers around the world.
You can also add your card details to compatible devices to use Apple Pay and Google Pay.
If you don’t want a £100 contactless payment limit, you can change it using our app.
We’re sorry that your transaction was declined. Take a look below to see why this might have happened.
Your card isn’t activated
- If you’re using a credit card, double check that it’s been activated and follow the instructions on the sticker if it hasn’t.
You have a card freeze in place
- This is when you have applied a temporary card freeze on our app or by calling us. If you’re registered on the app, please check to see if you’ve applied a card freeze, or you can call us on 0345 606 2172. Lines are open 8am – 8pm, seven days a week.
You’ve reached your agreed credit limit
- That’s the total amount of money you can borrow on your credit card at any one time. You may have reached it, or your transaction may have taken you over it. You can learn more about your credit limit on our website, app or by calling us on 0345 606 2172. Lines are open 8am – 8pm, seven days a week.
Your card has expired
- Double check the expiry date of your card. We’ll always send you a new card before your current one expires.
You’ve reached your daily Cashpoint® withdrawal limit
- We set a daily withdrawal limit of £500 and you may have reached it. It’s also worth knowing that other lenders and Cashpoint operators can set their own limits as well. Learn more about your limit.
If your card was declined while paying for something online or over the phone, it could be because of these reasons:
Your name and address don’t match our records
- It’s worth checking that your name and address details match our records. If you need to update any details, you can find out how to do it on our manage your personal details page.
Incorrect CVV number
- This is the 3 digit number on the back of your card. You’ll always be asked for it if you pay for something online or over the phone. Double check that you’ve entered it correctly.
If none of those answers have helped you, please get in touch:
Call us on 0345 606 2172. Lines are open 8am – 8pm, seven days a week.
Not all Telephone Banking services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
If you're calling from abroad or prefer not to use the 0345 number, you can call us on +44 (0) 1702 278 272.
Calls to 03 numbers are charged at no more than local rate.
You could move your balances from other credit and some store cards, to a single card. With everything in one place, your finances should be easier to manage. Transfer fees may apply.
If the option is available, with a money transfer you could move funds to your UK current account, helping you to spread the cost of unexpected bills, or for cash only purchases. Transfer fees may apply.
Your credit card can be a great addition to your wallet when you travel, but it’s important to understand what additional fees may apply when you use your card outside the UK.
You can use your credit card to take cash out at an ATM, over the counter, at a bureau de change and for other cash type transactions.
This is usually the most expensive way to use your credit card, so you may want to limit it to emergencies only.
Manage your account online
Apple, the Apple Logo and Apple Pay are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Android, Google Pay and the Google Pay and Google Play logos are trademarks of Google Inc.
To use our Mobile Banking app you need to have a valid phone number registered to your account. Available to UK personal Internet Banking customers and Internet Banking customers with accounts held in Jersey, the Bailiwick of Guernsey or the Isle of Man. Check your preferred app store for minimum operating system requirements. Device registration required. The app doesn’t work on jailbroken or rooted devices. Terms and conditions apply.