What does Buildings Insurance cover?

Buildings Insurance covers the structure of your home if they are damaged by events like floods, fires and storms.

You can take out Lloyds Bank Buildings Insurance by itself, or with Contents Insurance.

We offer two levels of cover:

  • Lloyds Bank Home Insurance. Personal and flexible cover. Choose the cover limits and extras to suit you.
  • Lloyds Bank Home Insurance Premier. Includes some higher limits and more cover as standard.

Limits, terms and exclusions apply to all levels of cover. 

What does Buildings Insurance cover?

Cover description

Home Insurance Limit

Home Insurance Premier Limit

Cover description

Private residence cover

Home Insurance Limit

up to £500,000* (included)

Home Insurance Premier Limit

Unlimited** (included)

Cover description

Outbuildings cover

Home Insurance Limit

up to £500,000* (optional)

Home Insurance Premier Limit

Unlimited** (included)

Cover description

Accidental damage cover

Home Insurance Limit

up to £500,000* (optional)

Home Insurance Premier Limit

Unlimited** (included)

Cover description

Replacement of sets cover

Home Insurance Limit

Not available

Home Insurance Premier Limit

Unlimited** (included)

Important information: The cover limits shown in this table are part of, not in addition to, the overall ‘Private residence cover limit’.

*Illustrates the limits of cover we provide as standard. A higher Sum Insured amount can be specified, this is limited up to £1,000,000 for Buildings. There are elements of cover which are subject to lower limits.

**This represents the total sum insured. Please note there are elements of cover which are subject to lower limits.

Who needs Buildings Insurance?

Buildings Insurance can help protect you from the cost to rebuild or repair your home.

This includes cover for the cost of repair of things like flood, fire or storm damage to your home. But not everyone needs it. You’ll need Buildings Insurance if you are a:

  • Homeowner. If you have a mortgage, you will need Buildings Insurance for the home you live in.
  • Landlord. If you are a landlord you will need Buildings Insurance for the property you rent out.

Who doesn't need Buildings Insurance?

Not everyone needs Buildings Insurance. For example:

  • Renters. If you’re renting you won't need buildings insurance. As your landlord is the owner they should have this covered.
  • Leaseholders. If you’re a leaseholder of a flat, the freeholder may insure the building as a whole. So, you may not need buildings insurance, make sure you check your agreement to find out if you do.

Get a Buildings Insurance quote

Getting a quote is simple. You'll be able to compare our two levels of cover side-by-side in a few simple steps.

Get a quote nowAbout getting a quote.

What 's included with Lloyds Bank Buildings Insurance?

Our Buildings Insurance comes with a range of benefits, including:

  • Property Owner's Liability Cover. Protects you from a breach of your legal responsibility as a homeowner. This could be a claim made against you by a visitor who is injured at your home, for example.
  • Agreed Architects' and Surveyors' Fees. We will pay the required fees if your home is damaged by an insured event.
  • Alternative Accommodation. We'll pay for somewhere for you and your family to stay, if your home is unfit to live in due to a claim.

Limits, terms and exclusions apply to all levels of cover. For more information, see the Home Insurance policy documents.

What extras do we offer?

Pick the extra cover you need, for an additional premium, including:

  • Accidental Damage Cover. Protects against the cost of damage that’s done by accident. This means physical damage that’s sudden and not done on purpose*.
  • Legal Expenses Cover. Get cover for legal fees**.
  • Outbuildings Cover. This protects your detached outbuildings. Such as garages, sheds and greenhouses*. 
  • Home Emergency Cover. This protects you from the cost of emergency repairs. This would not normally be covered by your Home Insurance***. 

Limits, terms and exclusions apply to all levels of cover.

Get a quote now

*Accidental Damage cover and Outbuildings cover are included as standard with Lloyds Bank Home Insurance Premier.

**Underwritten by DAS Legal Expenses Insurance Company Limited. Claim up to £50k to cover employment, contract or neighbour disputes and personal injury cases.

***This insurance is provided by Allianz Global Assistance.

For more information, see the policy documents.


How to make a claim on your Building Insurance


Step One - Get in touch

You can claim online here.

Or, you can give us a call. First, find your policy reference number. Then call the relevant number:

HAP - 0345 3005 177

HIA - 0345 3000 170

HDA - 0345 3005 177

MHA - 0345 3001 520

Before you get in touch, please get the following ready:

  • Your policy number.
  • Your bank details, in case we need to pay you.
  • A list of what’s been stolen, lost or damaged.

Step Two - Talk us through the incident

Let us know what happened, including:

  • When.
  • Where.
  • What was damaged.

We will then see if you’re covered for the damages and any excess*.

*We may ask you to prove ownership of the damaged items, such as receipts, invoices or photos.

Step Three - We'll process your claim

We will look at what’s happened and see how best to support your claim. This may be repairing the damages or giving you a cash payment. 

We'll help find you somewhere else to stay if your home is unfit to live in due to a claim. 

Limits, terms and exclusions apply.

Buildings Insurance: FAQs

When should I get Buildings Insurance when buying a house?

You should make sure you have Buildings Insurance arranged for the date contracts are exchanged. This is the point when you will be legally responsible for the house.

Do I need Buildings Insurance for a flat?

If you are renting, your landlord should have Buildings Insurance for you. You may want Contents Insurance to cover the cost of your items inside your flat.

If you’re buying a flat as a leasehold, the freeholder will need Buildings Insurance. You’ll have to show this to your mortgage lender.

Is Buildings Insurance a legal requirement?

No. Buildings Insurance isn’t required by law. But you may struggle to get a mortgage without cover in place. 

I'm a landlord, is Buildings Insurance right for me?

Yes. Our Buildings Insurance is designed to protect the owner of the building from the cost of incidents such as fires, floods or storms. 

If you rent out a property, you can get our Buildings Insurance. Plus, you will get cover for the carpets and other floor coverings, curtains/blinds and domestic white goods too.

Limits, terms and exclusions apply.

Get Contents Insurance

You can get Contents Insurance by itself, or with Buildings Insurance.

Contents Insurance covers the cost of damage to your personal items if they are stolen or damaged by floods, fire or storm. These will be covered when they are in your home.

Limits, terms and exclusion apply.

Call to get a quote

If you'd prefer to get a Home Insurance quote over the phone, our UK-based team can help.

We can chat about your needs and any extra cover you might want. 

Call us on 0800 056 3040.

Lines are open from 8am-6pm Monday to Friday and 9am-1pm Saturday.

Retrieve a quote

If you already have a quote from us, you don’t need to start again to take out Home Insurance. 

View your quote online by logging in with your:

  • Quote Reference Number.
  • Date of birth.
  • Postcode of the property you want to insure.

Important legal information

Lloyds Bank plc. Registered office: 25 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7HN. Registered in England and Wales No. 2065. Lloyds Bank plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority under registration number 119278.

Eligible deposits with us are protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). We are covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).